Outter door trim split or been pulled apart

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthonypg87
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Outter door trim split or been pulled apart Reply with quote

Hey guys the outer door lining/trim or what ever you want to call it that runs around the outside of the window has popped out or been pulled out by someone trying to break into the car in the past before I owned it. This creates alot of outside noise in the car whilst driving and is very annoying. So either need to replace it with new clips and all or maybe I can fix it my self. Any help on pulling it apart and fixing it would be appreciated.
lachlan_vlt
JZS147 Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very common issue mate, and not overly hard to fix. Form memory there might even be a "how to" for it. But I've pinched some pics from Cerium's build thread to give you a basic idea of the process, he's just been through this recently. The basic idea is you open it up, clean it all out on the inside, then add some sikaflex or the like in to glue it all back together, then clamp the trim down flat to the door frame and leave to set.

Here the pics: (credit to cerium)

Cerium wrote:

Finally got around to fixing the drivers window surround.
Before:

During:

After:

Not perfect but good enough and no more wind noise. The rain deflector is up next.

OGAristo
"Captain SS Aristotanic"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same issue with my drivers door i was trying to source a new drivers door to fix the issue but it looks like all i need to get is those irwin clamps and as a member stated dig out the crap in there and put stika flex in there and clamp it for a good 2 weeks maybe and bobs ur uncle Smile
Chappo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Why would you clamp it for two weeks?

If you are doing the above method I would suggest actually removing the trim and reattaching the outer frame to the inner frames that screw into the door.
OGAristo
"Captain SS Aristotanic"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chappo wrote:

If you are doing the above method I would suggest actually removing the trim and reattaching the outer frame to the inner frames that screw into the door.

because this is what Cerium said in his thread he left it on for 10days or 10working days=2weeks:

Cerium wrote:
I went with sikaflex after seeing it mentioned on here a few times. Didn't do much prep other than pulling out the larger bits of the old glue from someones previous attempt to fix it. I tried taking the clamps off after 24 hours and it wasn't even close to set, it just popped right back out, so ended up leaving them on for 10 days while I was away. The rain deflector is a lot more fiddly, not too sure how well it will turn out, I couldn't get it lined up and clamped down the whole way around.

I didn't ask the dealer how low he'd go, I'd already decided I wouldn't buy it by the time he came over. He wasn't too impressed when I started pointing out all the defects either haha.

lachlan_vlt
JZS147 Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGAristo wrote:
Chappo wrote:

because this is what Cerium said in his thread he left it on for 10days or 10working days=2weeks

Sikaflex sets much quicker than that, a day or two at the most would be plenty of time for it to set rock hard most likely, but check the packaging for the actual time it takes to go off, its dependent on ambient air temps from memory.
stott69
'Flying Kiwi 147'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines doing this also, appears to be caused by the window trying to tilt backward as it goes up therfore pushing the rubber up n out?
OGAristo
"Captain SS Aristotanic"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stott69 wrote:
Mines doing this also, appears to be caused by the window trying to tilt backward as it goes up therfore pushing the rubber up n out?

Yeah my windows dont line up either when i put them up-down and i have to force it with both my hands lol
TurboMoehican

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sikaflex 227 I just used to Seal in the Trans tunnel Dried rock hard in less than 24 hours and the ambient temps were only like 20 degrees or below i would say 24hours max and ya good to go.....so yeah no extensive wait times for sikaflex to dry Smile
Cerium
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it needed quite a long time to dry, after 24 hours it wasn't set at all and just pulled itself apart again as soon as the clamps came off. That frame really wants to come apart so it needs a good strong bond to keep it together. It could be sikaflex requires aerobic conditions to set so clamped up in the door frame like that would take longer than somewhere open like the trans tunnel. Or maybe there's a better variety of Sikaflex to use that doesn't take so long. I work an 8/6 roster so it ended up staying on for 10 days while I was at work but it probably doesn't need to be nearly that long. Somewhere longer than 24 hours and less than 10 days Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: