Steering Wheel Hub, Steering column (please help)

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ_playa
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Hub, Steering column (please help) Reply with quote

hey everyone, new guy here with a few questions

i got a 1994 aristo
now this question might be plain stupid and simple, but im worried about ordering a wrong part

i wanna get an aftermarket steering wheel for my car, i got no airbag or cruise control
so it will be a straight forward swap, however....... im from canada, and here we go nooooooo parts for this car.. anyways long story short

is the 1994 LEXUS gs300 have the same steering column??? as in if i order a steering wheel hub for a 1994 lexus gs300, will it fit my aristo?
or i also heard that a mkiv supra hub will fit too
????

ill be buying an Short Hub by NRG SRK-121H
here is an example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-Short-Hub-Adapter-Toyota-Lexus-Scion-Celica-Supra-IS300-SC300-GS300-SRK-121H-/380475356296

and another question, is there a writeup on how to change the steering wheel on an aristo? like a diy with pics maybe?

all help is greatly appriciated!!! Smile
NICK 05
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSS.............never seen a hub like that one.... Suprised but the jzs147 hub is the same as A LOT of cars. (toyota of course) so i am going to stick my neck out and say , you should be ok with that one... Very Happy
the BIG + you have here............. is no cruise / airbag...?
dont think there will be a "how to" in regard to removing the stock s/wheel..? but def not hard to do .

look either side of the center of the wheel ::; behind the horn push part . and there may be little plastic covers either side of the unit . or these may be missing..? in which case a "star" screwdriver in here will remove the center....and the rest is EASY AS..!

note :: some times the s/wheel can be a bitch to let go... Nervous after you have "loosened" the main nut...
do NOT remove it , keep a few threds on it....and grab each side of the s/wheel and rock as you pull..!!
HARD..!! LEFT / RIGHT / LEFT / RIGHT..! when it DOES let go...it WILL NOT smack you in the mouth when it comes back and heads for your face..!! the "NUT" will stop it..! nick Smile
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said mate, there are plastic tabs on the side/back edge that can come off, one on either side.
Pop these out and you will see a screw apparatus for locking in the front plate (horn plate) of the stock s/wheel.
Undo them and pull the front cover off, and you will see the inside of the wheel. Then you will need to undo the main nut in the middle holding the wheel down, as well as the electrical plug that connects (for you) just the horn. It will be like an 8pin plug but with only 1 or 2 connections. The rest are there for airbag/cruise.
Use nick's instructions on the main nut. It can be a bitch to let go if it's been there for 20 years.
Then you're good to go. You should be OK with the aftermarket wheel, but will need to modify the horn connector to get it to re-fit properly.

P.S. best name in the world Very Happy
ems3s
Site Mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a 3 arm gear puller if the wheel won't come off easily.

You can get a HKB OT-163 boss kit to fit aftermarket steering wheels. Readily available from ebay.
russ_playa
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow guys thanks alot for the advice/info

ive taken s/wheels off before, so i know what im dealing with

once the steering wheel hub comes in the mail, ill make sure to write a DIY for others like me Razz haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: