Potentially a new owner?? Need some advice/thoughts

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Potentially a new owner?? Need some advice/thoughts Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've been thinking of getting an Aristo for a while now. I like that they're different, luxurious, and have 2JZ power. I've seen some nice cars for sale on here, but none in the ACT. Sadly buying interstate is a PITA as mods would probably get me failed if I went over the pits. Especially a single turbo :'( . Sucks, but oh well.

I've seen this one pop up. Low KMs but price still seems really high (or am I just povvo?) Thought on it?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Aristo-1997/SSE-AD-3469822/?Cr=0

also, what are you guys doing for insurance? Noone seems to want to insure these, except for Just Car, but $900 premium and $1600 excess is a bit of a reaming. Shannons want 2K premium. LMAO! Or do you guys just go with 3rd party and come what may?
Captain Black
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly on insurance,

I have my Aristo insured with the single turbo conversion alongside my Harley for $114.00 per month with Shannons full comprehensive. Don't know 100% what my yearly premium is but I hardly notice that debit coming out once per month.

I've been seeing that Aristo on carsales for a little bit now - that's a little high to be honest considering what redbook place them at haha, but that's a very nice example and looks well maintained.

I bought mine in January 2015, and I've already spent $13,000 on it on top of the purchase price for various things from performance enhancement to preventive maintenance. Like any car, owner maintenance is key and you want to really make sure you give the thing good thorough inspection before handing over the money as hard as that can be when you're interstate. I had a few wiring gremlins I couldn't find until AFTER I purchased the car (coilpack wiring, various sensor wiring etc. that had just corroded over time).
rhetto
'Mr. Meticulous'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a mint aristo
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car but nowhere near 15k nice, good ones go for half that amount. Just shop around you'll pick something up for a good price and modded.
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback fellas. If it's still for sale in a month or so, it may be worth trying to haggle down. 9K is probably a brutal lowball though. It sure is in nice condition and has the 'correct' things from factory though.

Captain, how old are you? I'm 28 and shannons wants to tear me a new one. maybe you just got your policy at a good time??

I'll keep looking around. Ideally a single turbo aristo in the ACT would pop up, but I'm only aware of 3 aristos here full stop. one of them has been in 4x4 state for months. makes me sad every time I see it...
rhetto
'Mr. Meticulous'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mods ,colour ,how much did u want to spend
Captain Black
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jez wrote:
Thanks for the feedback fellas. If it's still for sale in a month or so, it may be worth trying to haggle down. 9K is probably a brutal lowball though. It sure is in nice condition and has the 'correct' things from factory though.

Captain, how old are you? I'm 28 and shannons wants to tear me a new one. maybe you just got your policy at a good time??

I'll keep looking around. Ideally a single turbo aristo in the ACT would pop up, but I'm only aware of 3 aristos here full stop. one of them has been in 4x4 state for months. makes me sad every time I see it...

I'm 29 years old and added the Aristo to my shannons policy in January this year for agreed value of $10,000 - then bumped it up to $13,500 when I did my single turbo conversion. Have had my Harley and past cars with Shannons since I was 25 Smile
Captain Black
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just found my policy - when my aristo was insured for $9000 the total premium was $784.71 per year. My bike is $346.99 bringing the total to $1131.70
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhetto wrote:
What mods ,colour ,how much did u want to spend

Having driven a black car for 2 months, I think I'm pretty sold on a white car next Razz I'm open minded, but preference is for:

Series 2
cream or black leather (looks more modern imo)
LSD
Single turbo

Long term mod goals would be single turbo (nothing crazy though) and some lowering + nice wheels. I already have my own audio gear to install so that's easy enough. Depending how bored I get with the auto, I'd consider a manual conversion.

Captain Black wrote:
I'm 29 years old and added the Aristo to my shannons policy in January this year for agreed value of $10,000 - then bumped it up to $13,500 when I did my single turbo conversion. Have had my Harley and past cars with Shannons since I was 25 Smile

Ahh, that'd probably be why.
rhetto
'Mr. Meticulous'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that aristo would be right for you or jamie might still have his,single turbo manual,white lsd,not to quick Razz
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest hurdle will be the pits in ACT. any vehicle I try to register here from interstate will have to go over them. That means a single turbo will need to be engineered. Once it's registered here, the car is sleeper enough to do the mod and probably never get the 5-0 to inspect and defect it Razz

Having a read of the ACT's laws on engineering, if a car is fully engineered in another state from the right place, it'll be recognised here. that's a plus

Quote:
The ACT will also accept engineering reports from signatories accepted in other Australian jurisdictions, provided modifications are certified in accordance with the NCOP (engineering signatory lists can be obtained by the relevant state transport authorities).

I think my upper limit on a car is 9-10K unless I sell some stuff, as I'm looking at a further $1300 for stamp duty and rego. Then there's the issue of insurance. May just end up with 3rd party or something. still sussing that out.

I'm pretty open minded on what I buy, but primarily i want it to be well looked after (probably not an issue) and not have the interior feel super dated (so the grey leather/upholstery is probably a no)

rhetto wrote:
Sounds like that aristo would be right for you or jamie might still have his,single turbo manual,white lsd,not to quick Razz

Where can I find this? I had a quick look in the FS section and didnt see it.
rhetto
'Mr. Meticulous'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask aristoman it's his rocket
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Aristoman's car is out of my price range, but it gives me something to aspire to, as does yours Rhetto.

The car I listed in the OP, but the seller doesnt want to go below 13K, which I think is a bit too high.

I've had a look into this one today:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pakenham/cars-vans-utes/toyota-aristo-comes-with-13months-rego-with-stock-wheels-7500/1093848717

Old mate will be redoing the ad to show stuff a bit better. At 85K Kms, it had the following done:

Quote:
Timing belt + tensioner
Seals
New Koyo radiator and fluid
valve cover
valve cover with breather hoses
crank sensor trigger
coil covers
Front control arm
bushing
balljoint
transmission fluid

Seems like an OK car to me. I'm an outsider though, so does anyone have any thoughts (pos or neg) about this??
Woggin
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like all the important things have been addressed

JZS147 stock snails 12.58@115, T04Z is here, still in beta!
92 r32 gtst daily

Old rides: 04 zze123r, 98 ae111r, 92 ep82gt, 92 sw20r, 00 ncp10r, 91 uzz31, 84 Ma61, 88 gz20, 90 jza70, 90 jza70 aerotop
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Car Reply with quote

What are you looking to spend on a car? I might be getting rid of mine soon as I think I want an isf
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at spending up to ~10k at this stage.

Primarily after something in good condition and not too many KMs
novercain
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking at buying another aristo but not many to choose from in NSW. Have to sell th xr8 first. Seen a few in ACT for sale though.
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? It's been a long time since I've seen an ACT one up for sale
novercain
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I ment VIC. Sorry lol
Jez
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am yet to buy one, but seems like that's a blessing in disguise. Found out that I need a shoulder reconstruction, so car money is now surgery + physio money Sad

Maybe I'll have a chance to buy mid year... <fingers crossed>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: