6 speed conversion

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undad0g
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: 6 speed conversion Reply with quote

After owning my car for 8 years I've decided to go single turbo and 6 speed manual. I really want it to be a full-time track car. Is it worth the effort and money? Those boxes are super rare it seems...
boosted6
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a track car i would be tempted to throw my 2j into an 86.

Risty would be fun for the track, but after driving much better handling cars, the risty would be last on my list of potential track cars.

When you say track you mean you want to cut laps or drift?
187-147
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the CD009 6 speed conversion right now. It cost me just $800 USD for the transmission, $2,000 for the adapter plate, twin plate clutch and flywheel. The shifter, shifter bracket, various shift boots, slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch pedal etc were all probably $200. The hardest part is by far mounting the clutch pedal so far. I got the 350Z one and it has to go on the worst spot on the firewall. There was some posts of people using other Toyota clutches like from a Supra or something and the clutch pedal was much longer so they mounted it higher where the firewall is actually flat.

The V160 is a better transmission and probably still a good investment if you have the money for it. Just keep in mind that the transmission will be worth more than the car itself so you'll have to sell it separately if you ever want to sell the car. You might as well buy the V160, keep it in storage and just run the CD009. The reason is because it would take a very special buyer to want to pay another $8,000 USD on top of the regular value for your Risty, which is what that V160 is worth. If you've had it for 8 years already though... might as well get the stuff you want.
boosted6
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i see where your coming from.

Will be wicked to drive with the 6-speed, all the best with it! Very Happy

Trust me the right buyer would come along and pay the extra if you ever had to sell...but personally if you get tired of that the 2jz can go into many things...like an 86. Razz
DetroitAristo
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few S2000 2J-GTE swaps that are amazing.

The current trend seems to be putting the GTE into a BMW E46 chassis.

That being said, I maybe am old, or a purist, but I can't see making my giant land-yacht, boat, overweight pig anything but an automatic. Even with a 1000hp/800tq engine.
boosted6
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track car needs to be light.

Watch the footage from the World Time Attack Challenge Sydney 2017...you see cars there have really good aero, and are under 1000kg.

Ideally you would want roughly 100hp per 100kg of weight.

I would love a track car with around 900HP and weighing around 950kg-1000kg.

The Risty is WAY too heavy for a track car...if your not interested in cutting quick lap times then use the Risty, but you'll be getting lapped by little Hondas. Razz

So not worth the money at all amigo.

Even 6-speed for the street...actually a 6-speed would be fun,..but again i much prefer the auto for the street, just plant it and gone Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: