Why an Aristo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Why an Aristo? Reply with quote

So, why did you choose an Aristo?

What are your impressions of the car?

What do you dislike about the car?

What do you love about the car?
Chickita
'Miss VIP'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only answer the first question - Why did i choose an Aristo...

I was noticing that Supras were becomming WAY to common - and i have never been one to want something which is totally common...
And plus - considering i had a NA, i was getting bored of it, and was in the position where i could spend another 5k+ to get the 1UZ FE put into it (something not as common as putting in a 1J), and turbo or supercharge that later on, or get another car...
And i chose to get another car, because i had already spent shit loads on it, and the price that they were dropping was something HUGE - so wanted to sell up ASAP.. and get something different..

I wanted something with a 2JZ GTE as they have to be one of my fav engines and known to be pretty tough Smile

So i turned to the Aristo basically because, its not as common as what other cars are at the moment, and its got the 2JZ GTE.
I know in time not being too common will change - but thats also a good thing.. And i'm going to be loving having 4 doors Smile and a decent sized boot for one! hahaha.. Plus they look PIMP as!

I have only seen like 2 silver Aristos one the streets of Brisbane so far.. haddnt even seen one when i bought the one i got coming.. so was kinda only going by pics/specs and details of Aristos :p
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: because they're soo damn pimp Reply with quote

In 1999 I knew about these cars and it was THE car I wanted to have in my driveway - but thanks to DOTARS, it was a no go. For me, the idea of something big and luxurious with a tonne of performance was really appealing. Think back to Australia in 1999 - Japanese performance cars were very limited and locally delivered cars had nil in the way of performance. Soarers were still around $40k for a tt, Supras were well out of the ballpark and Mitsubishi GTOs were still commanding big bucks. WRXs were the ram raiders preferred car and hence insurance was obscene and we'd just got the release of 399 2 door STIs and they were selling second hand for nearly $80k! I really wanted a 20B Cosmo, but there was nil parts support for them and very few good ones around.

At the time I drove a riced up Integra VTI-R (before rice became what we know it to be today!) and to me, the idea of a very unassuming car that would rip most cars a new a$$hole was pure genius!

Fast forward from '99 to '06. When I heard the Aristo was finally eligible for import, I picked one up immediately - I reckon mine would have been among the first 10-20 cars to land in the country. It arrived looking pretty sorry for itself on the outside, but $200 thrown at a detailer and she looked like new. A power steering leak was easily fixed thankfully. I got her on the road and tried to talk my wife into driving it instead of her Audi - she didn't want to, she finds it too big. So I decided to start modding it - she's a work in progress now, it's time for me to put up my thread in the Members Rides section I think Smile

My impressions of the car? Exactly what I thought it would be. Big, comfy and quick. Not a particularly great handling car, though this was improved by the addition of some coilovers and 2" dropped out of the ride height Smile

I find the steering a little vague, though she does corner better than I expected for such a big heavy thing. What gets me most is the smooth power delivery. The auto is a great thing, shifts are seamless and the power comes on in a rush. You feel and hear the second turbo come in and bang - like someone kicked the car in the arse!

What I dislike about the car? Nothing really. They should have been offered as a manual car from the factory, that's my only real gripe. Yes it's heavy, but it's a luxury car - all that sound deadening adds up.

What I love about the car is the "oh shit, I just got blown away by a Camry" look on ss commo owners faces. I love the "wtf is that" looks when you're sitting in traffic and the stunned "omfg, that's an Aristo" looks you get from people who know what they are.

I love the space, the comfort and above all, I love that I'm gonna be able to put down a shitload of power without opening the engine up Very Happy
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fcuk dont get me started as my reply later on will crash the server Razz
thommo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after havin a 2j cressida, i had to upgrade to the newer classy luxury car with power.

all about style, luxury and performance

it doesnt come standard with the Lexus badges haha

its 2jzgte !! and you can fit rediculous dished rims in the guards
xscape
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was becoming tired of my mr2, and felt like something different.. the aristo was an obvious choice, as it is pretty much an extreme opposite to the mr2!, and very very much a better car for about the same money (2 more doors, 3 more seats, one more litre, an extra turbo, oh and 400 kgs haha).

awesome in most regards. i couldnt have been happier - a pleasure to drive.. handling isnt great (ofcourse!) but i was not disapointed at all for such a large car

I bought an aristo without even driving one before. Thankfully, I haven't been disapointed with any aspect of the vehicle yet - it has delivered to my expectations and more.

One thing I dislike though, is that they will be common as fvck in no time at all. I like cars that come with at least a little exclusivity if thats a word.

First and foremost, the 2JZGTE. I say this because i considered the v8 model for about 5 seconds, before realising that if the car came with any lesser of a donk I would not be as attracted to it as I am.

Secondly, perhaps this is just my particular car, but it is a very complete package - more so than any other car ive owned. Its got the comfort, looks, power and overall its a very pleasureable car to drive. as mentioned, its very smooth, and opening it up above 4000rpm always puts a smile on my dial...

initially there was very little more i wanted to do to the car.. but latey ive had a change of heart and have been bitten by the power bug once again =/ (no surprises really)
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother who originally had a very quick 96 JZA80 TT Supra got me hooked onto 2J's as being a Mitsubishi boy myself couldnt resist the urge of the Aristo for half the price of what you'd normally expect to pay for a clean JZA80 TT in WA. Like Aaron knew of them in Japan from my bro and they werent eligible at the time so forgot about them for a few yrs got my life and family sorted out then joined the PMSport mailout band and sure enough recieved a email that Aristo's would be eligible for SEVS compliance in the near future (was about 1 week away from buying a EVO6 so email showed up at the right time)
Did 2 months of solid research and definetly decided i wanted one after checking out a few sites and chatting to a few compliers who had tested them. Another 2-3 months of looking for the right one to suit me as wanted one with lower kms / two tone / sunroof / leather / later model / cheap Razz
Had to have a sunroof first priority and then leather but got sick of looking at over 500 Aristo's at auction & many a sleepless night. Purchased my white two tone Aristo in Sept. 2006 and arrived early Feb. As wasnt bothered with mods as prefered stock standard bonus having 19's i guess.

What are your impressions of the car ?

Very nice and refined / smooth to drive. Handles extremely well for such a larger class car. Like the clean lines and not to fussed with wings / bodykits. Power is fantastic courtesy of the big 2JZ as comes in a rush when you give it a bootful and can be driven like a granny just plodding around town effortlesy if required. Steering is very precise and pinpoint when entering and exiting corners as traction control is very subtle Razz
Plenty of room / bootspace. Wheelarches are enormous. Looks like a oversized Camry with twin exhausts is what my brother quoted....He'll soon regret that....bastid

What do you dislike about the car ?

Not a fan of the air purification device. Also the 1 billion bulbs on the back of the dash cluster & 25 screws to get to it once removed. The standard rims are ghey. First Toyota ive owned as the central locking locks itself after a period of time as frustrates me to tears when i dont want them to lock in the first place ggrrrrrr. To bad if you want to open your boot release / fuel release as electrically controlled and to bad if you battery dies ! Found that out the hard way. Wish they were manual from factory as would love a 6spd Getrag. Theyre also very power hungry as dont leave your car with interior lights on / key in the igniton at a standstill as they'll drain the battery in no time ! Been thru 2 new batteries but now is all sorted. Pain in the arse to clean and remove shrouds underneath the car as mine would have to be the cleanest looking underneath by far as removed everything that wasnt bolted down and got the wire brush / grime treatment...Went thru 8 tins of black spray / primer but well worth it as looks brand spankers underneath and learnt alot of things in the process ie: remember to support exhaust before it whacks you in the head and nuts at the sametime Sad

What do you love about the car ?

Has 4 doors and enough room for baby seat as need the room !
19's look shithot but then again i'll probally downsize for driveabilitly knowing me. Love the power delievery / comfort / handling / options overload / looks.....Great car ! Also happy that Toyota have shitload of parts in there inventory as piece of piss getting engine parts for these cars if you have the right part numbers naturally and having Aaron aka Rampant has been a dream come true Wink

Lastly love that there's not many around to retain sleeper appeal.

Thus endeth my novel......
rob_85
'Mr. Cool'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, soo true :p

i chose it cos i was after something cruisy, with powah.....

the biggest thing ive found about it, is the turbos as Aaron said, you can really feel when they kick in.....it's amazing.........and you can just lean on the acc at 100kms/h and it's smooth power pushing effortlessly

i love it Very Happy
Aoshi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Why an Aristo? Reply with quote

Hi, just found this site, so while I'm in the transition of actually getting an Aristo, thought I'd just proceed and fill out one of these.

Never driven my Supra (tight arse parents + tight arse gf under the impression that I'm a "hoon" = never driven the car). So anyway, once Uni came to the started the realisation that I should probably go out in seek of a daily. I learned about these babies from my days of reading HPI. My dad doesn't like the idea of me having a "sporty" car, so the Aristo should be a nice compromise.

Love the styling of it. Not outrageous, reminds me of a Subaru Liberty, the family 4-door look with bang to boot.

Mine's going to be a N/A Confused . Possibly the lack of a manual.

Definitely the status that these have, gives me the feeling that a import used to give me before "everyone" started driving them. Similar to the first time you see a real Evo. Shock and Awe.
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I prefer larger, comfy solid cars to drive (you'd never catch me in a Silvia!) and like something with power. And I don't want to have to wait for that power (eg: small capacity turbo motors). I'd really like a new Clubsport R8 with a twin turbo kit, but don't quite have 80k to blow on one.

Love it. Very enjoyable car to drive, 2JZ makes boost very early, car is quiet and smooth.

Front looks far too Camry / Avalon. Probably more Avalon. Auto gearbox.

Like other here driving a car that is different.
Tones
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many years in small mazda rotaries i wanted something comfy, roomy, quiet, and reliable

Its comfy, roomy, quiet, reliable, and just a very nice to to drive

Finding parts

The ability of the motor, how comfy it is, and the Gf doesn't mind it at all compared to the rotors haha...
byteme
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thommo wrote:

it doesnt come standard with the Lexus badges haha

That's because it's a Toyota Razz Very Happy

For me, it was the money, I paid 1800GPB and that was from a dealer Very Happy the engine is almost worth that in the UK.

Grown to love it, always loved big motors, and with the powerplant, its almost my ideal car.
Dazwaaah
'Mr. 60mm'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why an aristo?
couldnt get the chaser i wanted

very big, but does everything effortlessly

What do u dislike about the car?
fuel cost and my stock zorst

i got it on the road for 9k lol

Flutter Crew '08
Patch Crew '09
Contiki Crew '10
Wolfie
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why an aristo?...

...cause cutting an aristo in half is cheaper then cutting a supra in half! Razz

*badum-tish*

1990 Toyota Supra (aristo 2JZ-GTE conversion)
Milhouse
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last toyota was a 1JZ MX83 Cressida which I loved but mistakenly sold due to getting a work car. While I love the 1J I also have much respect for the mighty 2JZ but don't want a supra. four doors of luxury with a factory fitted twin turbo supra engine sounded too good to pass up!

Awesome ride with potential to be seriously fast with few and easy modifications. Smooth quiet and comfy as.

Hmmm.. nothing!

Love the 2J! I love hearing the high pitched whistle of the turbos and the way the second turbo shoves you in the back at 4000rpm. This car is quite quick in standard trim so can't wait to do a few mods and see how it goes!
At first I did'nt really like the rear end much but the whole car has grown on me massively and now I love it from every angle!
Also love the way it looks like it got a chop top from the factory as the roof is quite low.
Dan
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did I chose an Aristo?

2JZ, Leather, all power options, sunroof, classy looking car (when done right).... all for under $13,000.

Cant go wrong.
ss wanab
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted a tow car that had a bit of luxury and class but nothin on the aussie market i liked

its sweet all teh luxury options with power to boot

not much atm will see

so sleak smooth quite compared to my mini Razz
OREO
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it because I loved 2jz's and needed a four door as my rotor mx5 was to small for me.
After driving rotors for so long I forgot what TORQUE was!! Razz

and under 13g as Dan said ya cant go wrong!

Hopefully sapol think its jus a camry with rims and leave me alone!
ss wanab
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havnt had any problemsi reckon the tow bar helps me more for the sleeper thing Razz
Miggy
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought they where really cool, but didn't really know much about them as i was mostly into nissans but recently they just didn't appeal to me as they did when i was younger they still do as i would love a GT-R but after reading WAY to much ZOOM and HPI i was hooked on 1JZ/2JZ cars so i went on J-spec to see if they where eligible to import JZA70 R (1JZ) and they couldn't, so i was looking around on the site and i saw how cheap Aristos where and i couldn't believe it. I thought they would be much more so off an email went and 3 days later my service fee with my import agreement was laid down.

I will fill out the rest when it arrives Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: