20s what do you think

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anglia
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: 20s what do you think Reply with quote

I am looking at these 20inch wheels for my aristo/
What is everyones thoughts?
I haven't fitted them yrt just rolled them in front?
Not sure if the offset will suit there off a LS400 celsior.

Last freaked with by anglia on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm; freaked 1 time in total
Dazwaaah
'Mr. 60mm'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will look better than what ya got tim... but not my cup of tea at all... i'm going probs a black rim or gold rim with chrome lip... also going for a sporty style not VIP

Flutter Crew '08
Patch Crew '09
Contiki Crew '10
Miggy
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would look awesome dropped on its guts with those rims + some big exhaust tips.
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i was really going for some 20's but couldnt find any in what i was looking for. Those rims will be prn mate. Dont stress! Smiley
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the look of them, depends on the offset too though?

20s are big too, you will need to lower to suit and wont be able to really slam it i dotn think. maybe roll the guards depending on offset also
aristo_tt
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done the same thing i have 20's for mine and rears fit fine just the front need spacers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
anglia
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted the 20s to my car today to see what they looked like and if they would fit.
Fronts fit quite well very close to the inner guards,
Rear fit well but may be to close to the outer edge of the guard.
And also my car sit way to high at the rear,
Here are some pics with them on?
What do you guys think?

eskimo_unltd
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good Smile lowering the rear will obviously move the guard so it's not so close to the wheel too

Rob

JDM or GTFO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SMOKEY
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh shouldwork out ok. aristos i have seen with 20s can look ordinary if they are too high, so drop it down and you will be set. also, as mentioned, once you get the arse out of the stratosphere, it will camber the rears in. from that 2nd last pic it actually looks like you are running positive camber - that needs to stop Very Happy
anglia
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still had the 17s on the other side of the car thats why it looks a bit odd at the rear,
Still unsure if 20s are too big maybe I will go 19s?
SMOKEY
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anglia wrote:
I still had the 17s on the other side of the car thats why it looks a bit odd at the rear,
Still unsure if 20s are too big maybe I will go 19s?

its up to you mate. i guess it depends what sort of look you are going for with the car.

if i had my choice i would go 19s on the front, tucking 20s on the rear. i think that would be the best result aesthetically.

for those rims, it would be a question of price for me really. as in, if they were a good price i would go for them - if i could get a set of 19s that were nicer for the same price, i'd be leaning towards them instead.

the 19" autocouture rims that aaron has for sale are hard to beat in my books. if i wasnt so far away from getting my own aristo then i'd be snapping those up and storing them.
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offsets are a bit weak for when you lower it, but you cant lower that much on 20s.

just have to decide how low you want to go Razz haha

Edit - just checked the rampant site for those AutoCouture, theyre way too weak on the offsets i think.
SMOKEY
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant_jzs160 wrote:
offsets are a bit weak for when you lower it, but you cant lower that much on 20s.

just have to decide how low you want to go Razz haha

Edit - just checked the rampant site for those AutoCouture, theyre way too weak on the offsets i think.

wouldnt say WEAK, but they wont be hanging out of the gaurds if thats what youre saying. nothing an 6mm spacer wouldnt fix. but really, unless you are running coilovers then its a pretty big risk to have an exposed lip level or outside the gaurd.

i had coilovers in my skyline, was running 235s on a 10 rim and the gaurd sat about 5mm above the lip with the tyres tucking. never scraped them. then one day was going up a drive way and the wheel dropped into the gutter and forced it right up into the gaurd - the wheel spun and it stripped a big groove of material out of the wheel lip - i was not happy - so you got to be prepared to make compromises and be verrrry careful running such low tolerances, and its just not possible for everyone to be that careful every day of the week!!

20s will also require the gaurd liners to go. which is a RWC requirement. altho the 4īnches over standard diameter could be a problem too :-P
anglia
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all your input,
I have decided I will go 19s as the 20s are just a little too big and I cant stand worrying about the wheels hitting my guards, nothing worse then driving a car that scrubs on every bump and lump on the road.
I reckon the wheels would have looked awesome if the car was lowered more at the rear but they were just to close to the guards.

Has any one got 19s for sale?
by the way the 20s were only $1300 which I thought was cheap.
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anglia - good choice i think on the 19s mate. if your suspension isnt stiff then scrubbing/scraping would have happened often on 20s. that said 19s can still cause some isues depending on ride height (also can rub on the inner guard liners if you go real low)

SMOKEY - once you lower the car and get some camber and possibly some stretch/mild stretch on the tyres i think the Auto Couture would look sunken with those sizings. but then if you maintain a fairly high height, stock unrolled guards and 'large' tyres then they may look okay, but not as aggressive as they could. i guess thats the different between 'filling the guards' and 'hell flush' and that is a matter of opinion too. i guess practicality has to come in somewhere Very Happy that said, i would go 15mm bolt ons front, and 20s rear for those hehe

In the case of your skyline, that is a tough one. a lot of the guys with tight fitment actually like the rim to touch the fender, or be capable of doing so, as this indicates super tight fitment. That said, it is one thing to have it look like that, and another to mean it *will* hit. What i do is fit the wheels, jack the car up , then get a 2nd jack and jack the wheel up into the guard to check clearance right up till full compression. You can then see if it is going to scrub. In the case of your skyline, you may have had to increase camber so that under compression it tucked under, or pulled the guard slightly just to allow the clearance.

I know what you mean though about it being a pain in the ass to be this careful, and it is kinda what is making me unsure about going to extreme with fitment on the Lexus. But as they say, you gotta pay to play. hahah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: