after market wheels

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: after market wheels Reply with quote

hi just woundering if anyone knows what the sa legal limit is for bigger tyres including off set help would be appreciated heaps
skeez
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno about offset
but its 2" bigger than stock
So for Aristo 18"
Warfare
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeez is correct as far as diameter goes, although I have heard rumours from multiple shops which have been somewhat hesitantly confirmed by Vehicle Standards that we will soon be changing to match eastern states with regards to diameter... i.e. you can go as big as you like as long as your load ratings are fine and rolling diameter is within 15mm of original. This generally means extremely expensive and low profile tyres when you're talking 19's Nervous

I can't find anything in the regulations or ADR's regarding wheel width or offsets, apart from the fact that you can't protrude outside your arches and you can't change the track more than a certain amount, which is interesting. Still need to confirm this with Vehicle Standards though. One guy at a tyre/wheel place laughed at me (knob) and told me 10" are illegal but my Weds SA70's have 255's on the rear and they don't look huge or anything so I doubt anyone would notice on such a big car.

Spacers are a no-no obviously so make sure your offsets are right if you're concerned about legalities... I've been trying to work out all these things too. Stupid rules and regulations. Of course you could always just say fuck all that, buy whatever you want and get some stockies too for when the shit goes down Smile
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks for the help trying to keep the car as legal as possible. What do u mean by track size
manual
'6spd Wannabe'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All NCOP (National Code of Practice) documents can be found here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle%5Fregulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

The specific one relating to wheels / tyres is this one:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

Read from page 14 onwards.

not sure if your state applies the "National" code as per this disclaimer:

Quote:
Certain jurisdictions will need to make changes to their administrative arrangement in order to fully implement the NCOP. Prospective constructors or modifiers should contact the jurisdiction in which a vehicle is to be registered or modified to determine the most up to date information about the business rules or transitional arrangements that may be in force.

But give your local RTA a call and see if the NCOP applies.
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got off the phone to regency and they said the offset can be 26 mm bigger then the standed track size does any one know what the stock track size is
FIRSTROUND
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLZ go to your local tyre shop, belive it or not in 18 months of working at beaurepairs i never once memorized the details because we have a book with everything like that in it. you may go any rim size you want as long as total rolling diameter is no more than 26mm bigger, you may also only go 30% wider than standard..... Ooops haha, (my 285's on the back may be an issue) and track width is acctualy a saftey issue, it will effect your scrub radius wich wears your tyres funny and also will do damage to ball joints and stress susspension conponents, run anywhere from a 40P to a 20P and you will be fine (the lower the pos offset the futher it sits out your guards) i run 35p all round 8.5" on the fron and 10" on the rear, the only issue i have it that my rears are to fat. but nobody cares
Slain
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its around 45 or 50mm. check the back of one of your stock wheels and it should be printed theree
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: