What to look for when finding the dream car?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarcmi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: What to look for when finding the dream car? Reply with quote

hey all im right at the start of the research phase.
a few questions i have are.
is there any know issues i should be looking for?
should i get a stock as a rock one or is a couple of mods ok?
does anyone know a sound importer with real prices not baloon prices?
any special model varients that are worth seeking out?
anything else i shoud be looking at?
thanks in advance.
Mike
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You can go stock as a rock if you like, however getting one with exhaust, bodykit and rims doesn't necessarily mean its had a hard life.

If you want real prices, look for somebody who is acting more as a 'buying agent' who is assisting YOU in purchasing the car, and where all the prices are transparent. Two that spring to mind who operate like this is Aaron from Rampant (sponsor of this board - user nakedterror website www.rampant.net.au) or Geoff from Prestige Motorsport ( www.prestigemotorsport.com.au ).

This will get you cheaper prices, but you arn't really able to see the car in the flesh before you purchase. If you want to buy a car that you can see here, drive yourself, get a vehicle check, and get a warranty or finance, then you probably want to go to a dealer, but you'll pay Smile

Some other people who have owned the cars for longer are probably more qualified to talk about faults, somebody has already talked about ball-joints here in the technical forum.
Scarcmi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the speedy reply, i have seen the prestigue site and Geff got a car for one of my mates and the he was very good, i think i will go with him at the end of the day, maybe go to a yard to drive one with roughly the equipment im looking for. Cheers for the heads up on the ball joints, im impressed that out of maybe 4000 parts taken to build the car 2 of them are susspect!!
Mike
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower balljoints and uppers baljoints (or wishbones) are common failures on these cars.

Lower balljonts being cheap enough, uppers will make you cry.

The 2JZ-GTE is also known for valve stem seal failure later in life, best check is to start from cold, any sign of oil burning, the stem seals will need doing. Not immediately, but will only get worse.

Stock doesn't mean it hasn't had a hard life, you need to take every car on it's own merits. A 50'000 mile engine may sound better than a 100'000 miler on paper, but if it's been neglected it's going to be a whole world of pain.
Scarcmi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers are the valve stem seals trikey to do on this engine? im used to nissan engines.
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more so than any other engine.

I have to do mine, but it keeps getting put off for some strange reason Very Happy
sbyder
'Mr. Lemon'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick@clubaristo.co.uk wrote:
uppers will make you cry.

You'll be happy to know that celsior upper control arms bolt straight in Smile
Heaps of them at the wreckers!
RCN Compliance Centre
East Coast Compliance

....Website coming soon....
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a bit dubious about fitting second hand suspension parts personally. Just seems alot of hassle if they're then going to fail not long down the road.

We have a yearly vehicle test over here which is controlled by the Goverment called an M.O.T these are items that are included in the test.

Do you guys have anything like that??

I've just replaced bothsides, top and bottom Sad
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in VIC we don't have annual or even any sort of regular inspections. When a car changes hands, it must be inspected and passed as 'road worthy'. If you keep your car for 30 years, chances are it will never need to get re-inspected.

It is possible if you were pulled over by the police they may instruct you to get re-checked, but this usually happens to people with modded cars that are too low / too modified.

It seems stupid to me that your late model Japanese car could be instruced to be inspected over and over again (if you get constant attention from the police) yet somebody driving a really old car with stuffed suspension, brakes, windscreen, etc. gets left alone Sad

There has been discussion of regular checks for cars of a certain age here, but not in effect yet.
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Thanks for the info, it's really interesting to hear.
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, and I may be stepping on a few people's toes here, I would not recommend that you use Prestige Motorsport.

I don't have personal experience with any other places, but I have heard good things about J-Spec Imports. I know a few people that have imported through them with no issues. They seem to have access to the same cars as Prestige Motorsport, they had access to mine, although I got it from Prestige.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/

Cheers,
Nick
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have dealt with Geoff alot and his service is second to none as organised 85% of the things that needed doing.

But what he quotes you with cars arriving in OZ as always add another 3-4k on the FOB price.

Heard horror stories from both J-Spec and PMS but at the end of the day they're just agents who just advertise the car from the auctions over in Japan & in reality its up to the supplier who inspects the car of which you base your intial interest in the car.
Remember onus is up to you if you wish to go ahead and import the car as its your money.

If i were to import again id be using Aaron / Rampant no probs Smile
jboy1
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right Aristoman, they also have not seen the cars in the flesh. All they do is take the footwork out of the process. Like the purchser they will not know the exact condition of the car until it arrives which is why companies such as these take no responsibility for any damage and/or the repair of damage. It is totally at their discression. The best that they can do is trust their buying agent in Japan and hope that the auction report is honest.
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know quite what you mean about the second to none service from Geoff, you must have gotten a different Geoff to me. :? From my experience and talking to a bunch of ex-customers, his customer service is "legendary". Sad

To be honest, I would agree with you and go for Rampant. From what I have seen here, Aaron seems like a top bloke and the prices on all his aftermarket stuff are quite good. Seems like he'll look after you.

I agree with the horror stories. I have heard a tonne of them from PM and at least one I can remember from J-Spec. Although, I do know a few people that have gone through both importers before and they both now swear by J-Spec. Still, you could go through PM and it will likely be OK, as it is with many people. Just seems to me there is a bit of a risk there.
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say i had no drama's with his service. Cant speak for other people just my own experience Wink

I think its the same Geoff we're talking about Razz

I agree Rampant next time as has a very good reputation and will go out of his way to helpout bigtime !

At the end of the day aslong as everyones happy thats all that matters, most thing annoyed me was the extra costs that i wasnt informed about Sad

BTW what drama's did you have Nick ?
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron from rampant seems quite good.. I don't really like jspec or prestige, but each to their own.

I and a few others have gone through Kristian from Iron Chef in SA, and i can tell you flatout, He rocks Smile Handled everything expertly, kept you up to date about everything, all the time. Really, allowed me to do as much or as little as I liked, and handled everything else.
Even made it so I could pick the car from the docks myself as I was fanatical about not letting dodgy docks workers drive it.
Excellent agent. Can't recommend him enough!
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through Geoff and so far he's been very helpful.

But waiting to find the right car at the jap auctions is making me very impatient. Too many Qs on offer Confused
sbyder
'Mr. Lemon'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only issue i found with prestige was the fact that they normally only go auction grading. Ive heard of a few cars, especially rotors that have come over as grade 4 and had blown seals and crap synchro's etc..

The grading system doesnt actually provide any mechanical info, other than what they can see/hear when looking over the car.

I went through J-spec purely because i could get a independant mechanical inspection at my own leisure. Having said that, i bought a lemon, but at least i thought i had the benefit of having a mechanic report Razz

Ben

PS- I'll be going Rampant for my next purchase... mmmm... 98 VVTI 6pseed GZ Supra YUMMY!!!!
RCN Compliance Centre
East Coast Compliance

....Website coming soon....
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha....been waiting for your reply Ben Razz

Agree 110% with the grading system !

Like ive said to you previous that car is jinxed and doesnt like you at all !
Scarcmi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is all food for thought! thanks heaps for all the info folks, one of my good friends know Kristan i have found out so i might go with him. i like the fact i might be able to go get my car from the doc, i agree with letting as fewer amount of people drive it as possible! di you guys go with a RORO ship or container?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: