Describe driving/owning an Aristo (Potential New Owner)

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallward
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Describe driving/owning an Aristo (Potential New Owner) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a Toyota Soarer (UZZ31 V8) and I must say i do love it. This is my third V8 Soarer, never owned a TT or an Aristo (haven't even been for a ride in one). Reasons why i like the V8? Sound, styling (both outside and in - crazy dash!), and reliability.

Naturally, my curiosity has finally gotten the better of me and i'm seriously considering getting an Aristo (2JGTE). Only thing is, there are none available for sale where i live (Hamilton New Zealand) so i can't test drive one. I'm worried that if i buy one from elsewhere in the country without test driving first i'll be disappointed after years of trouble-free and smooth as silk performance from the Soarer. My Soarer will probably do flat 15 on the 1/4 mile, and from what i've seen a stock Aristo does mid-high 14s.

So, can you guys please describe and/or compare the Aristo to the Soarer in terms of acceleration, handling, and other features?? (P.S i have read the Soarer vs Aristo thread before, but it's basically everyone saying the Aristo is better without detailing the why/how). Also, i'd be looking for a stock or lightly modified Aristo.

Even better, anyone know someone in Hamilton with an Aristo who will take me for a drive?

Thanks in advance
Kronos59
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous car was a TT Soarer and I loved it. It was fast, comfortable and it looked . Now that I have an Aristo I can see why people will tell you they are better. More power, more comfortable, more doors and I think it looks better (there is something I don't like about the Soarer headlights).
I haven't had major issues with either of the cars, just normal things breaking because they are more than 20 years old.

An aristo will be easier to get some more power out of simply because it's turbo, just chuck a boost T on it and turn it up. It will probably also be worse of fuel which could be an issue with the NZ fuel prices.

As far as handling goes, they both handle like boats until you get some good coilovers and sway bars, even then they are still pretty heavy cars.

Probably the only thing I miss from the Soarer is the digital dash and those amazing, over engineered, door hinges.
stott69
'Flying Kiwi 147'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man. Im down in wellington, so no help with test driving, but I do know of a guy up there with one. Are you on the toyspeed forums at all?
Woggin
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be very surprised if ur 31 runs a 15 flat

the best i could get out of my uzz31 (with hiflow cats, intake and toyo proxes 4) was 15.4.

u wont regret an aristo, i had my soarer and my aristo at the same time, i loved the soarer, loved the seats (leather) and the air sus, but id hop into the aristo, and, i dont know exactly wat it was, but i just loved hoping into the aristo more!

if i could make a couple changes to the aristo tho...baggy leather seats 100%. A lil more comfy, not by much, and they wont rip as easily at the seams, like my aristo has, and quite a few others ristos!

JZS147 stock snails 12.58@115, T04Z is here, still in beta!
92 r32 gtst daily

Old rides: 04 zze123r, 98 ae111r, 92 ep82gt, 92 sw20r, 00 ncp10r, 91 uzz31, 84 Ma61, 88 gz20, 90 jza70, 90 jza70 aerotop

Last freaked with by Woggin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm; freaked 1 time in total
Woggin
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos59 wrote:
An aristo will be easier to get some more power out of simply because it's turbo, just chuck a boost T on it and turn it up. It will probably also be worse of fuel which could be an issue with the NZ fuel prices.

Probably the only thing I miss from the Soarer is the digital dash and those amazing, over engineered, door hinges.

my aristo is/was pretty economical, definitely more eco than my uz31, by far, at least 8L/100km, mine was schmick mechanically, MAF was good, new plugs, leads, o2s punched out 195rwhp too.

i too miss my digi dashes, door hinges pretty awesome, must admit!!

92 r32 gtst daily

Old rides: 04 zze123r, 98 ae111r, 92 ep82gt, 92 sw20r, 00 ncp10r, 91 uzz31, 84 Ma61, 88 gz20, 90 jza70, 90 jza70 aerotop
fallward
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stott69 wrote:
Hey man. Im down in wellington, so no help with test driving, but I do know of a guy up there with one. Are you on the toyspeed forums at all?

Thanks anyway mate, no i'm not familiar with toyspeed forums, should i be?

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm interested in the one guy who said he owned a TT Soarer but preferred the Aristo because it has more power etc etc... I've been looking through the SoarerCentral 1/4 mile times and comparing them to here. Most stock/lightly modified Aristo's do 14.5, whereas most stock/lightly modified Soarer TT do 14.2 or thereabouts. Must be due to the lighter weight? Does the Aristo feel faster though?

I should probably take my 31 to the strip but when i bought it was it in immaculate mechanical condition and since then i have a full exhaust (no cats) and a BFI - should be good for 15 flat....
TurboMoehican

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallward wrote:
stott69 wrote:

Thanks anyway mate, no i'm not familiar with toyspeed forums, should i be?

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm interested in the one guy who said he owned a TT Soarer but preferred the Aristo because it has more power etc etc... I've been looking through the SoarerCentral 1/4 mile times and comparing them to here. Most stock/lightly modified Aristo's do 14.5, whereas most stock/lightly modified Soarer TT do 14.2 or thereabouts. Must be due to the lighter weight? Does the Aristo feel faster though?

I should probably take my 31 to the strip but when i bought it was it in immaculate mechanical condition and since then i have a full exhaust (no cats) and a BFI - should be good for 15 flat....
Aristos have sequential turbos rather than soarers have parallel twin turbos therefore the aristo feels faster and tougher because it has torque and boost lower down in the rev range slightly more accelaration id say Smile
Woggin
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my risto did 14.3 stock, with stupid 19s on it, weighed 27kg a corner, 9kg more per rim than stock 16s!

define lightly modified, my aristo does 12.7 only has shift kit, exhaust, toms remap ecu, fmic and 16.5psi, that classify as lightly modded?Smile

aristo feels faster, because it is!

my aristo, when stock felt considerably faster than my 31, obviously coz it is/was.

the uz is great for bottom end and mid-range, but after 5-5.5, dies down quiet a lot, the 2j, has half decent bottom end, killa mid-range and still pulls at the top!

id be pretty dam happy if my 31 pulled a 15 flat with an exhaust and intake..(i still have my doubts, but if all the planets aligned at that moment.....)

92 r32 gtst daily

fallward
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had no idea the Aristo had sequential and the TT Soarer had parallel... that would make quite the difference! From experience i feel that parallel is better for that 'put back in your seat' feeling but i could be wrong. By experience i mean twin-turbo Legacy B4 which had a horrible sequential turbo setup. (comparing to Mitsi VR4 which was paralleled)

UPDATE:

Currently looking at this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=579485484

Has an idle problem and apparently smokes on startup but could be a goer... Only problem is i can't try before i buy.
FalconXE302
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Aristo Reply with quote

Get a nice one and you'll never look back in my view. The one you are looking at i would be wary...

"Sometimes struggles to idle, Does smoke slightly on start up"...

The struggle to idle might be a vac leak... could be a sensor issue. the smoking issue is possibly a big dollar repair... others on this forum are far more expert than me on the smoke issue. What colour is smoke....?

I had v8's for many years and loved the torque and sound. Now I love the extra power and comfort and quiet drive. The 2JZGTE is one of the best engines ever built.

In my view if you were to buy this one, you should find out what the smoke is first. I think guys have had to change valve stem seals on 2j's which is 'not so bad"... but it could be turbos... or worse.

Your budget is of course important, but I would hold out and save for a better example unless you don't mind it being off the road for sometime while you sort the issues... and paint the roof... Smiley

My dead stock Aristo has a best of 14.41 @ 101mph... without stalling trannie up and a crp 2.57 60ft...!!!. A simple stall kit and you are into the 13's. BPU and you are into the 12's.

P.S
Getting the advertised one at near 2 grand might not be a bad base to work with though... if you can do the work yourself to bring it up to par, but others on this forum are better equipped to offer advise on issues like the smoking. I've had mine for 2 years and just today had it's first problem fixed... it struggled to idle, ran real rich and was just a vac hose.
rhetto
'Mr. Meticulous'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned mine for 6.5 years and love the car.Best engine,power,looks and a treat to drive.I've done alot of mods,work but everything I do It just looks and goes better everytime.Id buy an aristo again but sometimes you are best to buy one a bit more than standard price and get a clean factory kms. Smile
fallward
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful and appreciated. This is just making me want an Aristo even more. The one in the link i posted with the smoking issue: I'm fairly certain it's the valve stem seals. That's fine with me because apparently those aren't too expensive to replace? Could still be a decent buy given the car is completely stock standard.

Thanks again guys.
stott69
'Flying Kiwi 147'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up going for a drive and liking it, this would be my sugestion; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-572072427.htm
Has the start of some good mods and looks tidy in the pics, priced right too. Don't do what I did and go "oh look shiny rims and single turbo", cause after 2 years Im still finding half assed shit that they have done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: