The fat rubber look

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prolancaster
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: The fat rubber look Reply with quote

I know each to their own when it comes to modding your car, and you should do what YOU want to do, but I'm going to get opinions on this anyway.

Thinking about getting a second set of wheels (maybe). Have my current ones for that VIP look, but buying a second set for that functionality/sporty look. Was thinking 6 spoke wheels, either 11, 11.5 or 12 inch rears, and maybe 9.5/10 fronts with a conservative offset so I can fit the widest tyre possible on all fours. I'd have to do some measurements to see what would fit and what not.

Thoughts? I think it'd be awesome to be running something like 315/40/18 on the rear (if its possible)
stott69
'Flying Kiwi 147'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 275 on the ass, sits flush on the out side but not to sure how much more room is on the inside. And by flush I mean when the car was lowwered the gaurds rubbed even when rolled
OGAristo
"Captain SS Aristotanic"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess all depends on if its stock guards or stock + a roll and and flare/pull and also the fact of the offset of the rim to see how much sits in/out to determine how much you can fit on
prolancaster
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true. At the moment on the rears im running 19x10 +25 with 255/35. So just stretched. Sits really flush with a tiny bit of camber and guards rolled. Ill do some measuring today, see if I can work out roughly how fat I could get it without hassles Smile
prolancaster
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camber arms would be on the cards too if I was to go through with it
OGAristo
"Captain SS Aristotanic"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prolancaster wrote:
Camber arms would be on the cards too if I was to go through with it

Yeah I got ikeya formula arms in mine Smile
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've the (equal?) fattest tyres on here... 305/30/20 rears.
It's pretty fat Very Happy I like it...

You can fit bigger though... if I was to measure and custom order I think I could get to 315 or 325, but not sure how low I could run if I do. Not sure about camber arms. I really don't think you'll need to. The natural camber roll of them is about perfect as if you want that 'sporty' look then you're after only 1-2 degrees negative which is exactly what you're going to get anyway. Also, camber is fine if you run stretched as you don't need to worry about your internal clearance, but if you are going to the fat tyre look then you're going to struggle with clearance on the inside as well as having to worry about outside edge. It's basically twice as hard to fit ultra fat tyres properly as it is to fit stretched ones.

Currently sitting on 20x11 +35. At +35, I can't tuck 305s inside standard guards... need about an inch pull to get them inside the guards. As for internal space, I'd really have to get back under there and measure (It's hard because to measure I need to jack the car up so I can fit under, but if I jack it up then I can't figure out how much room I have at rolling height *sad* I need a drive-on 4post stand... )
I believe you could add another 5mms or so, but I wouldn't go much above +40.

I would suggest you want to start with what size rims... if you're only running 18s then you can 'skimp' on the rim width as the sidewalls will allow it to bulge out a bit. At 20 (for instance), your sidewalls get pretty narrow which limits the tyre width quite a lot more.

If you wanna fit 305's, I'd suggest a +40 and anywhere from 10" to 11.5" wide.
If you wanna go to 315s, I'd probably be worried around +40, perhaps aim for +35, and go for 11"-12" rims.
prolancaster
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty P wrote:
I think I've the (equal?) fattest tyres on here... 305/30/20 rears.
It's pretty fat Very Happy I like it...

You can fit bigger though... if I was to measure and custom order I think I could get to 315 or 325, but not sure how low I could run if I do. Not sure about camber arms. I really don't think you'll need to. The natural camber roll of them is about perfect as if you want that 'sporty' look then you're after only 1-2 degrees negative which is exactly what you're going to get anyway. Also, camber is fine if you run stretched as you don't need to worry about your internal clearance, but if you are going to the fat tyre look then you're going to struggle with clearance on the inside as well as having to worry about outside edge. It's basically twice as hard to fit ultra fat tyres properly as it is to fit stretched ones.

Currently sitting on 20x11 +35. At +35, I can't tuck 305s inside standard guards... need about an inch pull to get them inside the guards. As for internal space, I'd really have to get back under there and measure (It's hard because to measure I need to jack the car up so I can fit under, but if I jack it up then I can't figure out how much room I have at rolling height *sad* I need a drive-on 4post stand... )
I believe you could add another 5mms or so, but I wouldn't go much above +40.

I would suggest you want to start with what size rims... if you're only running 18s then you can 'skimp' on the rim width as the sidewalls will allow it to bulge out a bit. At 20 (for instance), your sidewalls get pretty narrow which limits the tyre width quite a lot more.

If you wanna fit 305's, I'd suggest a +40 and anywhere from 10" to 11.5" wide.
If you wanna go to 315s, I'd probably be worried around +40, perhaps aim for +35, and go for 11"-12" rims.

Ah okay. Yeah im running natural camber now but im fairly low so obviously wouldnt have it anywhere near as low as what it sits at now if I was to run wide tyres. Get another jack under the wheel and pump it up to how it would sit if it was on the ground Smile

Yeah If I was to go through with it I'd be running 18s. I probably wont go through with it though since I'd rather spend the money on starting to do performance mods (its bone stock at the moment)

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. May look into it some more
DVS2JZ
'JZS147'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure

Lachlan runs 19x10.5 +42 and there is abit more room on the inside but outside sits flush with a 305 19" tyre

I will be trying 295/50/16 on a 16 x 9 +50 soon although drag radial so generally abit bigger than a standard tyre but will be a tight fit to the outside guard even at +50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: