Motoring costs UK-vs-Aus

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Motoring costs UK-vs-Aus Reply with quote

Following on from another thread, I'd be interested to hear what you motoring costs are like for getting the Aristo through the year....

Insurance - we have to have a minimum of Third Party, which covers the other cars in a collision but not your own. We also have Third Party, Fire and Theft, which covers the third party in a collision, pays out for your car if lost to fire, and pays for your car if stolen and not recovered. The there's the top cover which is called Comprehensive, which covers all of the above plus your own car in a collision.

Comprehensive insurance for the Aristo, I would say on average costs around £700 GPB - $1690 AUD annually

Road Fund Licence (known as road tax) - A little paper disc we have to display in the windscreen cost for the Aristo £195 GPB - $470 AUD Annually

Ministry of Transport Test (MOT) - Basically an annual road worthy test, which covers, brakes,tyres,lights,suspension,emissions e.t.c. e.t.c - £45 GPB - $108 AUD

So that's £940 GPB - $2270 AUD before we even get to drive it

Super unleaded petrol currently costs around £1 per litre - $2.4 AUD

Be really interested to hear what you guys have to go through.
xscape
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread.

In Australia, I believe the roads are goverened by each individual state as opposed to federally. this means that different states have different vehicle registration requirements.

I'm in Victoria. we have the following:

Registration: This is much like your road fund licence. We pay approx $550 per annum. This includes the only form of mandatory insurance, which doesnt cover any vehicles, but i beleive it covers you against incidents where people are injured (i could be wrong).

Insurance: No minimum requirements. The cost varies greatly depending on the provider, driver and vehicle. For comprehensive I would be looking at approx $1300 per annum, plus an excess of almost $2000 if I made a claim. Over 25s, and those with no previous licence cancellations etc would get a better rate.

Fuel: A few years ago, we would never have seen fuel over $1 per litre. It's currently averaging at about $1.20 - $1.35 for 98 RON.

We dont have an annual road worthy test, thankfully. We only need to go through the road worthy test when transferring ownership of the vehicle. Standard price is about $75 + whatever needs to be fixed.

The biggest issue for drivers of modified cars is the police - if they sting you for illegal mods, you need to have them removed and and depending on the severity a road worthy issued or even a visit to the EPA for emissions testing. some examples of illegal mods in Victoria are;

- Car must have a ground clearance of at least 10cm
- Only one intake mod allowed (i.e. air filter OR intercooler)
- I believe that aftermarket ECU and / or boost controllers are a no no
etc
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:shock:

Thats pretty expensive.

I was pricing insurance at around $1300 a year, comprehensive, and I thought that was a lot. Registration sticker we have to display on the windscreen costs around $450 a year (for my car anyway - people with aristos please correct me since I haven't registered one yet). Fuel is floating around $1.20 - $1.40

I suppose compliancing would cost the most, but thats a once off...
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xscape wrote:

Registration: This is much like your road fund licence. We pay approx $550 per annum. This includes the only form of mandatory insurance, which doesnt cover any vehicles, but i beleive it covers you against incidents where people are injured (i could be wrong).

Thats correct. If you cause injury while driving an unregistered vehicle, you're basically up sh*t creek, legally and financially.
Jezza
'Mr. No Aristo'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xscape wrote:
- Only one intake mod allowed (i.e. air filter OR intercooler)

hmm, that prolly explaines why melbourne is the dose capital of australia...

victoria bites by the looks of it.

fair sure in canberra, rego is ~$600 and i think you gotta have atleast 3rd party

not sure on insurance on an aristo. im under 25, and a dude, so i'd say comprehensive would be making me pay out the ass, even with an NA aristo. i know that a mate with a V8 soarer had 4k a year for comprehensive, which was actually fair lucky cos he copped a pole 3 days after he insured it, so he saved himself 6k...sorta.

seriously thats how they all dance... walk for a bit.. then viking that shit... walk... VIKING... WAAAAALK... VVVVIIIIKKKKIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!
rob_85
'Mr. Cool'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

car itself = $20,000
stamp duty = 3.5% of purchase price (havent paid yet)
rego each year = $500
comprehesive insurance = $1200 (22 male, clean history)
Alarm = $450

burning a commodore at the lights = priceless Razz

oh, and i bought hks pcv $150 and exhaust $800 Razz
sbyder
'Mr. Lemon'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting...

Given the 79litre tank, it would cost almost $190AUD to fill our tank of fuel if we lived in the UK.

GLAD IM NOT A POMMY THEN Smile

(pun intended)
RCN Compliance Centre
East Coast Compliance

....Website coming soon....
Jezza
'Mr. No Aristo'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_85 wrote:
comprehesive insurance = $1200 (22 male, clean history)

wow, that shocks me. that sounds fkn awesome Very HappyVery Happy just hope it aint someone bodge that does the bare minimum when something happens to you.

seriously thats how they all dance... walk for a bit.. then viking that shit... walk... VIKING... WAAAAALK... VVVVIIIIKKKKIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbyder wrote:
interesting...

Given the 79litre tank, it would cost almost $190AUD to fill our tank of fuel if we lived in the UK.

GLAD IM NOT A POMMY THEN Smile

(pun intended)

Tell me about it, least we have the weather on our side :shock: Very Happy

The modification aspect is very interesting.

Can I ask, if you don't need insurance that covers other peoples cars in an accident. What happens if you smack into someone's brand new Ferrari?? they take you to court for the money??
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick@clubaristo.co.uk wrote:

Can I ask, if you don't need insurance that covers other peoples cars in an accident. What happens if you smack into someone's brand new Ferrari?? they take you to court for the money??

They can... and then you agree to pay $50 a month until it's paid off, because "that's all you can afford"

Personally I'd rather not hit a Ferrari, and I'd always get at least 3rd party insurance.
rob_85
'Mr. Cool'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd party insurance is compulsory here

3rd party = $200 a year, which covers you if you hit a rolls royce and they get hurt

3rd party fire and theft = $400 a year - covers above but you can claim against fire and theft on your car (usually cars up to $5000max)

comprehensive = $500+ you are covered for anything you hit or hits you

on my policy.........i will get boned heavily on excess..... but.....i only really have it if it gets stolen or completely written off (god forbid)

the fuel is rather fucked around here these days........but that rant will be saved for another day

Razz Razz
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And leaving one very peeved Fezza owner Very Happy, although, I guess they'd have insurance to cover their own car.

Our MOT,Road tax and Insurance systems are all computerised now, and the police and special roadside camera operators are all linked to it. If you get stopped with non of the above, the vehicle gets impounded there and then and possibly crushed.
JayVee
'Aristo Freak'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob don't get compulsory 3rd Party (as part of your rego), and 3rd Party vehicle damage insurance confused mate. You HAVE to pay the one that's in your rego, but this only covers costs of personal injury etc, not any costs of vehicle damage.

The other 3rd party that costs bugger all covers you for damage to the OTHER vehicle only, This insurance is not compulsory (but it should be)

Jay.
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vearingj wrote:
The other 3rd party that costs bugger all covers you for damage to the OTHER vehicle only, This insurance is not compulsory (but it should be)
Jay.

Agreed. It should be. I know friends' cars which have been hit by uninsured motorists (one didn't even have a license and had a kid in the passenger seat :shock: ). It's a whole lot of headache trying to deal with them.
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, i think rob got a tad confused there.

We have 3rd party "personal injury" that takes care of medico stuff if you hurt someone while you're behind the wheel.
That is included in rego, and is compulsory.

Then insurance levels 3rd party, 3rd party fire&theft, and comprehensive, all of which are optional.

But i agree... 3rd party insurance should be MANDATORY.
SOOO many wanker uninsured ppls on the road. Hit you and you're up shit creek cos they can't pay.
rob_85
'Mr. Cool'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo isnt it compulsory ??

i think it is....but i cant be assed to go searching around to back up my claim Razz

ive got fully comp anyway Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: