18" or 19" Rims....?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Jornot2J wrote:
Not being a wet blanket or anything but with the sizes of rims these cars can accept, has it occurred to anyone that the limit is getting pushed? dont get me wrong i love the dished hunkered down lowered look of these Aristo's but i remember back in the old days ,when fat rims were all the rage except for those who took it too far. they apparently managed to snap the rear axles or shear the lug nuts off under load. does the fact the Aristo has independent rear suspension offset this fact or can u simply go dangerously too big? i know the usual excuses which to some degree may be plausible by the police such as too wide that they rub the guards and that they protrude beyond the wheel arch and can turn up dust and dirt or in fact shred under cornering. the axle/spline shaft shearing dawn to anyone?

just curious...

If the increased weight of a larger rim was going to break something, then the same effect woudl be had with smaller rims, but with a slight increase in power. Given many people have larger rims & above standard power - I don't think its too much of an issue. Toyota are well known for not building stuff that is on the edge of breaking as it rolls out of the factory.

Although there aren't many Aristo's around, I certainly haven't heard of any breaking wheel studs off. I gave my Soarer heaps and the weak link in that chain was the auto.
94 Turbo Aristo
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents, as I've had an assortment of rims over the last 2 1/2 years. Mine came with 18x9 and 18x10's with 235-40's and 265-35's, and it's not a bad ride quality, but stretching the tires is NOT recommended. It will cause abnormal tire wear as well as the possiblity of breaking the seal between the tire and rim if you hit a large pothole, and will almost positively cause wheel damage. If you run 18's, be sure to run a tire wide enough for the wheel.
I now have a set of 19x8.5 and 19x9.5's with 245-35's and 275-30's. The dish is deep enough for me, but that can be altered slightly with offset changes. The change in ride comfort is almost unnoticeable. I would have installed 20's, but my car is very low, and 20's rubbed like hell.
My conclusion, if you can afford tires for the 19's, do it. The ride is not bad, and the width gives me more than enough traction when dry. If dumping you car however make sure you remove as much of the negative camber out of the rear as possible, or the rear of the car will "dance" in the rain and is quite hard to control. Hope this helps.

Check out these pics for reference: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=45730705&albumID=0&imageID=3718356
manual
'6spd Wannabe'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i run 18x9 and 18x10 with 255 and 285, and i can't tell the difference in ride between these and my old 17x8 and 17x9 with 235 and 275 ...

so i will probably put 19's on the aristo (9's and 10') and go with some 255's and 295's ... i HATE the stretched look.
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretched tyres give you no kerb protection, immediate downfall as far as I am concerned (not that I hit kerbs often).
JayVee
'Aristo Freak'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the stretched look either, IMO my rim/tyre combo is just perfect (once it's a little lower that is)

Jay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: