Largest width/offset possible with stock guards (worked)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Largest width/offset possible with stock guards (worked) Reply with quote

Hey, anyone know the largest wheels you can fit on stock aristo guards that are pumped/lipped/rolled? Before needing to go over fenders ect.

say.... 19X11 +16 offset on rear? Possible (trying not to give too much away just yet)
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a good place to start would be VSC forums to ask these questions. i have been spouting a few low offsets around here and seem to be the only one! haha

i'll throw out a few things here though from what i know from my s13 and from my researching on other forums. tyre size and suspension geometry play a huge part.

- How much tyre do you want to run? are you willing to go big stretch?
- what sidewall tyres do you want to run?
- what suspension will you be running and how low will you be running it?
- how much camber are you willing to run? are you keeping the stock arms or buying adjustable items from the likes of Ikeya Forumla or Nagisa-Auto

these are initial considerations. Now you have said guards that are 'pumped, lipped, rolled'. well they are 3 different things. there is also Shaving of guards done often in VIP/aristo circles. it also depends how far you want to go with flaring. i am assuming you mean rolling the lip under and then pulling the guard out a little further. to be honest i am not sure how much pulling an aristo fender will take, and it depends on the condition of your car. shaving is actually cutting off the edge that you would normally roll under, giving an extra couple of mm of clearance under there.

from what i have seen on VSC, on stock rolled and pulled guards with stretched tyres in 35 series e.g. 225/35 & 235/35 with stock camber arms maxed out to aruond -2 to 3 degrees, you can fit around 19x9 +15 up front and 19x10 +15 up back at most. now since the camber arms dont have much adjustment to them, this depends a lot on "natural camber", that is camber that is acheived via IRS by lowering the car excessively. so to acheive this total amount of negative camber you need to riding pretty low.

at this stage you also have remove fender liners up front and relocate the wiring harnesses up higher in the guard using zipties or the like.

So then if you are wanting 'biggest' in the sense of width you will need to take away some offset as you add width. you will also need to work out how much brake caliper clearance you have and coilover clearance, and if you are going to changing or upgrading brakes in future.

anyway using the offset calculator http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
and basing say the front 19x9 +18 and rear 19x10 +18, and then going from there, for the back a 19x11 +16 would stick out 15mm more and have 11mm less inner clearance. To get it to sit the same as a 10 +18 which is around the best you can get on stock guards, but at an 11" width, you would need offset of +31. but then it may not clear the brakes depending on it's disc size. (low, medium or high for clearing brakes)

there you go, some food for thought. throw some more info and i might ponder some more hahah
VIP300
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a set of work eurolines for my 147. Should be coming in about 3 weeks, rears are 19 X 11 (+23). I'll let you know what problems/work needed i come across to fit them, though there is a 147 in Japan i know of that's running a 19 X 10 (-5) on the rears and he is on natural camber with slightly pulled guards but is dropped almost to the ground and that's with no body kit. Suprised
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, was saying pumped/rolled/lipped to say i am open to all surgestions. Think shaving plus some guard pulling should see them sit in there. Damn the bloody admiration kit is V low as it is. Sad
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little note. Stock wheels from memory are 16x7.5 +50 (front and rear). If you currently have stocko's and want to compare how far a set of wheels will come out compared to this, most calculators will need this to tell you. Smile

Also if I remember correctly, Chikita on here has some pretty crazy wheel sizing.
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugzor - fair call on that comparison, but it doesnt take into account camber, and then there is stretched tyres which will also assist in fitment.

vip300 - keen to see how it goes, i reckon theyll be fairly hard to fit haha but time will tell.
Slain
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant really comment on this as mine hang out of the stock gaurds lol
but check the wheel thread it has my sizing/offsets and they would be ok with slight mods and are about as wide as you can go on a aristo
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial'ed a similar offset today. 1" less rolling diameter but +15ml wider.

Rekon's ill have em in there with just a minor pumping and getting the guards lipped.
Eeek Dance
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT - what are the exact specs of those?

looks angry. got any sort of back angle/side shots?

i reckon maybe a little more tyre stretch (what are those tyre specs?) and lower+more camber. then roll and slightly pull the guards, but aristo guards are hard to pull i hear, so you probably wont get much extra width out of them unless you go hard! i would probably just try dumping and winding max camber from stock arms. if it fails, my prefernce would be to get some adjustable arms and wind them in, rather than f*ck with your panel & paint.
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant, there Gramlight pro's in 18"X10.5" -5's i think. So makes em +10 ml wider than ones going on her.
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. good stuff! keen to see how you go with these. nice to see someone unafraid of offset! haha

what wheels you going for?
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit hush hush at the moment, but they will be 19's and phat true VIP style. but seen as how i dont have them in my possession yet. Ill keep things a lil under wraps.
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice nice. Smile ill watch with anticipation...!

i think ill be going new with mine (ouch) haha but at least i can get exactly waht i want then
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phatt...
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok for further reference,

The rears on this 147 is 19 X 10 +5, with a slight pull and natural camber.

I'm hoping my 11" +23 should sit about the same since it will probably be equivalent to a 10" +12. Very Happy

Miggy
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blind_injustice wrote:

Phatt...

That is........awesome.
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those wheels on the other 147 are pretty cheap looking i reckon! haha that car or one very similar in white with those wheels is on the cover of the current VIPcar magazine.

anyway, blind injustice those wheels look like they have positive camber hahah i reckon they would tuck in almost completely with some negative! haha
VIP300
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant_jzs160 wrote:
those wheels on the other 147 are pretty cheap looking i reckon! haha that car or one very similar in white with those wheels is on the cover of the current VIPcar magazine.

Yeah I got the current issue of VIPcar with the white 147. Same wheels but less aggressive fitments.
SMOKEY
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIP300 wrote:
Ok for further reference,

The rears on this 147 is 19 X 10 +5, with a slight pull and natural camber.

I'm hoping my 11" +23 should sit about the same since it will probably be equivalent to a 10" +12. Very Happy

Your new wheel will have the following chracteristics:
The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 31mm LESS
The outside edge of the wheel will RETRACT in towards the body by 5mm

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

that black one in its guts looks like it has about a 215 on a 10" rim. there is about 10mm of wheel lip unprotected by the tyre, which is taking the whole stretch thing a bit far IMO. but at the end of the day, at least you know it will fit. my motto has always been make the car fit the wheels, so i say go for it!
blind_injustice
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want the top of the wheels to tuck under the arches but its hard with the Admiration kit being soo fkn low. Which is why ive gone the 19" route rather than the 18".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: