Went to the pits today...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draco
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just curious if you're willing to part with some information regarding the compliancing and licensing. Just trying to figure out what the licensing and registration might cost me should I get an Aristo imported (a rough estimate as how much this might cost me for compliancing & licensing).

Checking through PrestigeMotorsport I can pickup a non-turbo 3.0Q for about $11000 all up (everything included).
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the WA pits is as much as a lottery as a lot of us think. They just look at different things than a lot of us think they will and some of them are more old skool than others. It seems that they don't care about non-standard bits (for example I have an aftermarket FIAMM air horn, wheels seem OK, body kits are OK, etc). They only care about the car meeting a series of standards (immobiliser, ride height, tint, suspension in good working order, illegal mods, too loud, safety standards, no leaks, etc). However, some of the guys will relax some of the standards that do not really affect the road worthiness of a car. Others follow every rule.

The pits are not about ensuring compliance with RAWS, that was what the compliance guy was about. The pits are about ensuring a car is roadworthy.
Had2have1
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have at this moment is a confirmed booking at a suspension workshop first thing in the morning and a promise that my car will pass the height test after they finish. Somewhere in between, i reckon its a good time to look at the shockies as well. My theory is that I should get a better deal if its all done at the same time. Dont need adjustables, but i think anything will be better than the originals.

As for my mission on Friday, ordinarily I would never attempt this on a Friday, especially one before a long weekend, but like every other man and his dog, it will be a mad rush to get it done. Its going to be chaos!

Thinking 3.00am, sleep there and take an alarm clock , or block the gate so they have to wake me to get past......
JayVee
'Aristo Freak'

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the car off then go home for a kip, return just before 7:30... Razz
Had2have1
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draco wrote:
Hi All,

Just curious if you're willing to part with some information regarding the compliancing and licensing. Just trying to figure out what the licensing and registration might cost me should I get an Aristo imported (a rough estimate as how much this might cost me for compliancing & licensing).

Checking through PrestigeMotorsport I can pickup a non-turbo 3.0Q for about $11000 all up (everything included).

Hi Draco,

Up to $3500 for compliancing seems to be the go for V models, registration costs in Perth available on DPI website. There is a calculator, just type in your vehicle details and the exact rego cost will be displayed.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/1382.asp
(Shows $311 for your vehicle cost)

Add inspection fee around $57.00

Add temporary permit fee $15.00 for 48 hours

Add anything unforseen that needs to be done to the vehicle to get it over the pits.

Add anything Ive forgotten Smile
Had2have1
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vearingj wrote:
Drop the car off then go home for a kip, return just before 7:30... Razz

Good theory...... but there is a good chance I will be pinged for NO WHEELS Smile Id feel less guilty if someone jacked up my car and stole the wheels while i was in it.
Had2have1
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greennick wrote:
I don't think the WA pits is as much as a lottery as a lot of us think. They just look at different things than a lot of us think they will and some of them are more old skool than others. It seems that they don't care about non-standard bits (for example I have an aftermarket FIAMM air horn, wheels seem OK, body kits are OK, etc). They only care about the car meeting a series of standards (immobiliser, ride height, tint, suspension in good working order, illegal mods, too loud, safety standards, no leaks, etc). However, some of the guys will relax some of the standards that do not really affect the road worthiness of a car. Others follow every rule.

The pits are not about ensuring compliance with RAWS, that was what the compliance guy was about. The pits are about ensuring a car is roadworthy.

You're right! I couldnt see the forest for the trees. Roadworthiness is the key. I suppose the big scraping noise that happened as I dragged the barge over the top of the pits might have alerted them to the possibility that there may have been an suspension issue.... Smile
JayVee
'Aristo Freak'

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By lottery I mean that you never know how hard they are going to be. Yes they should always check the things on the car that are critical for roadworthiness, but sometimes they are missed.

For example, when I went through ride height wasn't the flavour of the day. The guy in front of me hit the steel edge of the pit and the inspector laughed and asked him to reverse out and go around to the other side. He was clearly too low, but not formally picked up for it.

Even when we compared our cars the other day Phil, they were very similar in ride height and I scraped pretty hard over the pit but didn't get pinged.

I'm just happy that I'm through, for now anyway Razz

Jay.
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see how it is a lottery with whether or not they ping you for some of those things that don't contribute to the roadworthiness of a car. Like ride height. Some seem to care, others don't really care at all.

Hopefully with a little trial and error we can all learn for the good of this forum and work out which centre has consistently the most lenient people. Although, it does seem even at the same centre there is a bit of inconsistency depending on who you get!

At some point in time when I have a spare half hour, I will go through everyone's posts and summarise the issues identified at each inspection centre into one post. Hopefully we will see some kind of pattern emerging!
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my alarm installed yesterday, picked the car up today, so now no immobiliser issue is sorted. Got the dash out, switched some lights around and the airbag light works now!!

However, now the airbag light is permamently on!! Damn, now I am going to have to do that airbag light removal thing. Hope it works!! At least I am getting closer...
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the airbag light trick. SRS light flashes, then goes off, then back on again. Checked the fault codes. SRS code 11. According to the manual, "code 11 is recorded when ground short is detected in the squib circuit or front airbag sensor circuit."

Bugger. Alright, I give up for today!
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that the car is possessed Nick Razz

I take it you turned the igntion on with the dash removed ?

I know the procedure to remove the light as i'll dig it up for you as log on to the Club aristo site in UK look under How to section and find the tuturiol on the airbag light removal thread.
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've already done the remove the light thing and it is still there. Looked it up on the Club Aristo site. Here is the link:

Resetting the Aristo's Air Bag Warning light

However, it would go off and then back on again. Bawling

Hooked up the engine diagnostic codes and got code 11. That means ground short is detected in the squib circuit or front airbag sensor circuit. Could be a number of different problems that I will need to have a look at. Hopefully I don't need a new sensor because they cost 890 or something from Toyota, Regan from DCI was saying!! Mad
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Noes Not a good thing. $890 hopefully you can score one if thats the prob off a wrecked Aristo or half cut as there's a few going round.

So nothing to do with the dash as was thinking you could borrow my dash to pass rego but they'd state all the km's and stuff like that and then put yours backin minus globe for airbag when its rego'd.

Just a thought.

Hate niggly electrical probs as hopefully its a simple solution as i did the diagnostic procedure when my airbag light came on and went away no probs.
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you see the thing is it is not actually my dash! It is a borrowed one, as most of my needles (most importantly the speedo needle) are stuffed. To make it more interesting, when I checked the airbag light, I realised that the light was not busted, was just twisted so it wouldn't work (still in its spot, just turned a little). Makes me hold out hope that the problem is not with the car, but is with the dash!

I would have thought if there was an airbag warning light or no airbag light before I would have been told by Prestige. So hopefully that is another sign it may be the dash!

I don't think the km's really make a difference to be honest. I had a different dash in it for the rego anyway!
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok try placing your original dash back in and see if the airbag light still stays on as then you'll know if you've got a bigger problem. Im still thinking that its still a diagnostic issue when the key was turned on with no dash connected as have done this myself.

Keep trying the procedure as hopefully as a last resort you wont need my dash as this is becoming a real pain in the backside when in reality your car should be rego'd already Suprised

Fingers crossed
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u wanna be nasty you could just wire the airbag light into the light next to it, so it comes on when your key goes to ignition then goes off just like the other ones. :p
Pretty shifty...
Had2have1
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty P wrote:
if u wanna be nasty you could just wire the airbag light into the light next to it, so it comes on when your key goes to ignition then goes off just like the other ones. :p
Pretty shifty...

That's a great idea! So shifty, it's a wonder I didn't think of it. Just need to be wary that the load on the driving electronics would be doubled maybe well beyond its capacity, but at least it would just be for a very short time.

Greennick, if you need help to perform this temporary dash mod I am happy to help on the weekend. We could parallel an LED so we don't overload the circuit.
Phil
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had2have1 wrote:
Rusty P wrote:
Pretty shifty...

That's a great idea! So shifty, it's a wonder I didn't think of it. Just need to be wary that the load on the driving electronics would be doubled maybe well beyond its capacity, but at least it would just be for a very short time.

Greennick, if you need help to perform this temporary dash mod I am happy to help on the weekend. We could parallel an LED so we don't overload the circuit.
Phil

I was thinking about doing this (a mate told me to do it as soon as I told him the light was busted - dodgy bastard) and am thinking about doing it more and more now!! I just don't want to have to send the car back to C-Red and have them charge me an arm and a leg to sort the problem ASAP, when I would happily do it in my own time. I am in this difficult situation where I have less than 2 weeks to get the car rego'd so I can get the stock suspension off which is Regan from DCI's.

Hey Phil, it is not my dash and my wiring skills are not the best, so if you could help me out, that would be much appreciated. I can take the dash out and bring it to you on the weekend if the offer still stands!! Or if it suits you, I live in Wembley if you wanted to do it here, although I have stuff all in the way of electrical tools!

What I was thinking you could do to avoid the load is just take out one of the unimportant lights, such as the ABS or TRC light and rewire one of those to the SRS light.

Cheers,
Nick
Had2have1
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in contact.
Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: