Aristo pricing disparities...what a rip!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Jornot2J
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Aristo pricing disparities...what a rip!!! Reply with quote

Being someone who is currently in the market for an Aristo, i see either alot of dreamers selling cars or people making or trying to make an enormous profit. Some car yards are ridiculous but go to the other side of the country in the east and they are almost giving them away? what is happening here in the west??? whay are we paying almost 10k more from a yard than our eastern state friends? ok you pay overheads on a yard but 10k profit a car? what is the drug trade not doing so well? these are not all yards though as some are priced so well private sellers arent even an option. but seriously...where do some of these guys get off charging so much?

i really considered flying interstate to have one brought back by rail instead of buying one here thats how bad it is. granted perhaps theres not much competition here but people do get wise and for how cheap airfares are these days its quite feasible. i think yards in perth need to take note that for the mere fact a car is landed in there yard and not some pic on the web dont mean its worth 10k more all of a sudden. ok the car is there ready to be bought but unless its true value then people will go east.

now imagine how bad business would go if everyone stopped buying in there own state and bought ex east. they dont need to find out that way they just need to ease up on prices...thats all.

ahh...i feel better now. Razz

Last freaked with by 2Jornot2J on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:10 pm; freaked 1 time in total
sbyder
'Mr. Lemon'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can undertand your point completely.

Just remember that some car yards over on the east also seriously over price their aristo's.

I imported mine through j-spec with a quoted landed and complied price of 13G's. Ive spent almost 22G's (including cost of the car) just getting it up to daily driving specs fixing little niggly issues and getting through import duties etc..

The fact is, when you import a car you take a huge risk in not seeing and driving the car before laying money down. Going to a car yard and paying an extra 5G's might actually be better off if you use my car as an example. Ive spent 9G's on it, and i expect, if the car was already landed over here and in a yard for 20g's i wouldnt have bought it.

There are pro's and con's whether you buy it already here or import it. I will not import a car from japan again, unless I can drive it before putting any money down.

Hope that all makes sense.

Ben
RCN Compliance Centre
East Coast Compliance

....Website coming soon....
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, i seriously don't see how some people are claiming to be selling Aristo's at like $12k.
How the fark can you get them in for that kind of money??
Anyone here can honestly claim they have their car on the road rego'd and all good for less than like 13/14k?
Ive spent about $18/9k on mine and the hassle alone is worth another grand. I wouldn't sell it for less than $20k not a chance in hell.
xscape
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is definitely possible to get an aristo for 11 - 12k including compliance and registration. however, it may not be the best example.

i was initially hoping to spend about 12k but after a while realised that a little extra money goes a long way when you're importing. mine cost closer to 17k but i havent spent much on it as it was pretty much up to scratch when it landed.

we've all seen some of these cars advertised for 20k plus. IMO it is a fair price for such a car. it is sad that there are some poor examples going around which really bring down the value (much like soarers).
SS DIS
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are starting to rise on the Aristos Due to people only now starting to know what they are. People have to bid against other bidders to get the right cars.
Always ask for an auction sheet when looking for a vehicle this will tell you why some cars are $15- $20K.

It all depended on how much the vehicles sell for in Japan. I know that some cars can come in for about $13K but yes you do need to fix some small things that could cost up to $2K. So why not buy a car that’s already ready to go no money to spend. Remember one thing. THERE IS NO RIGHT PRICE FOR THE WRONG CAR.

You want a good example then you pay for it. You want a crap one you will end up paying for that in the long run.

If you were to compare the 2 vehicles next to each other $12K car to a $19K car you would easily be able to pick the differences.
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xscape wrote:
it is definitely possible to get an aristo for 11 - 12k including compliance and registration. however, it may not be the best example.

If you import the car yourself you will save money there, but as stated above, you are taking the risk. The car might end up with a miss, some dodgy paint, or something else you just could not tell from all the pics you saw of the car in Japan.
SS DIS
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing is if you import it your self you run the risk of getting a vehicle that can’t be complied. If you go through a REGISTERED company not a backyarder who can do it. They SHOULD Offer a money back guarantee if the car can’t be complied. It’s very common these days for compliance companies refusing to comply vehicles due to major accident damage that the buyer had not been told about.

The supplier in Japan won’t care if he sells you a dodgy car cos you’re only going to buy one. If you go through a REGISTERED company they normally are importing a few and have trusted people / there own staff in Japan.
RIPSIP
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty P wrote:

Anyone here can honestly claim they have their car on the road rego'd and all good for less than like 13/14k?

I am in the process of importing a mint 97 Aristo 74k through Prestige Motorsport and should have it on the road for around 13k! so its possible you just have to get lucky at auction time!

I also saved heaps by looking for the Aristo no one wants which is the White two tone with out leather or sunroof!

End of the day with the money I saved I could respray the car and have my own leather put in!
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIPSIP wrote:
I am in the process of importing a mint 97 Aristo 74k through Prestige Motorsport and should have it on the road for around 13k! so its possible you just have to get lucky at auction time!

Thats very good!

And don't go knocking the two tone coz Jamie might ban you Razz
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the English lesson, but what is "disparacie(s)"?

Your the second Perth member to use the word, in the context you are using it I assume you mean "discrepancy", but I can't find "disparacie" in the dictionary? Perhaps I'm just a Melbourne bum?
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we Perth bois gud engrish have we, tink not yu?
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dis·par·i·ty [di-spar-i-tee]
–noun, plural -ties. lack of similarity or equality; inequality; difference: a disparity in age; disparity in rank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1545–55; < MF desparite < LL disparitās; see dis-1, parity1]
greennick
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
Excuse the English lesson, but what is "disparacie(s)"?

Your the second Perth member to use the word, in the context you are using it I assume you mean "discrepancy", but I can't find "disparacie" in the dictionary? Perhaps I'm just a Melbourne bum?

Out of interest I just googled "disparacy", 94 times this "word" is used on the internet. Haha, I doubt all those people are from Perth. If we keep using it, maybe we can make it a word!!
2JZNOSHT
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbyder wrote:
I imported mine through j-spec with a quoted landed and complied price of 13G's. Ive spent almost 22G's (including cost of the car) just getting it up to daily driving specs fixing little niggly issues and getting through import duties etc.

Dont take this the wrong way but i would be "PISSED" if that happened to me... The estimate given to you by the importer should be alot more accurate than that. Mine worked out around 1k higher than i was told (and i had already allowed for this anyway). 9k to get the car on the road??? I dont see how its possible unless you ended up with a lemon. As i said please dont take this as offence im just stunned at the amount you had to spend on the car once it got here.

Black...19's...Dished Hard... Slammed... Nuff said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JayVee
'Aristo Freak'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little suprised too mate.

Did you (or anyone else), want to detail some of the issues you had so that people looking at importing can have a better understanding of what the catches are?

Seems to be some serious disparacies Razz

Jay (from Perth)
sbyder
'Mr. Lemon'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i bought a lemon Sad

Its not J-spec's fault. They even got a independant mechanical inspection done, which didnt pick up thing :shock:

The import taxes, quarantine, etc... cost me just under 4K, which is something i wasnt quoted on... but theres the government for you Razz

I will no doubt forget 20 thousand other things that went wrong with this car.. but here i go...

Brake lines, all perished and leaking.
Lower ball joints.
Upper ball joints.
Front lower inner control arm bushes (custom ones had to be made up).
Water pump.
Alternator.
Hydro fan assembly (leaking).
Radiator outlet pipe cracked (got it repaired).
A Coil pack (cracked).
Heater control valve (head ache to replace).
6 of the most unreachable coolant pipes blew, at different times!
Exhaust leak (easy yet hard to reach spot near the down pipe).
Power steering leak x2 (replaced high pressure line to rack, then another one blew a week later).
Bent Rim (which happened in japland).
Rooted Subwoofer.
Dead battery.
Passenger seat motor blown (yet to replace).
Headlight connection just melted last night, NFI why :?
and to top things off, the import damage still is yet to be repaired!

So, its safe to say that if anyone has any issues with their Aristo, I've already been there, done that!

I've only got a few little things to fix up and she's perfect..... until the auto starts slipping, the radiator blows the top tank, the turbo's sh!t themselves and the engine looses pressure HAHAHAHA

Very Happy

Having done all that, I still love the car!

Ben
RCN Compliance Centre
East Coast Compliance

Last freaked with by sbyder on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:56 pm; freaked 1 time in total
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forsaken wrote:
disparity

There we go, disparity not disparacie / disparacy.
Forsaken
'Canary KING'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're the person to go to if we have an issue, because you've seen it all Smile

Thats a big list of issues... Nervous ...but its running well now?
sbyder
'Mr. Lemon'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, its running like a dream now. Although, the powersteering pump is making funky disco noises Razz

Just fitted a turbotech boost controller with my ETTC mod, and wound boost up to 1bar. Looses traction constantly, especially in the wet. The TRC light has had a great work out every night this week!
RCN Compliance Centre
East Coast Compliance

Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it like this guys.

You go shopping for a car, for the sake of this discussion let's say it's a Hyundai

If you go to a dealer, you are paying a premium for the car. Let's say $10k. For the $10k you are buying from a known entity and in Vic at least, you get a 3 month statutory warranty on the car.

For an identical car, you can buy privately for let's say $8k. You're buying the same car, but you get no warranty and you have no recourse to the seller whatsoever, even if the engine goes pop as you back out of their driveway.

The same car again, at the auctions - where so many cars in dealers lots come from - you will probably pick it up for $6.5k. BUT - you can't drive it, you usually can't even start it - you have nfi if the car is rooted or what is going on beyond the auction report.

All of that applies to the Aristo too.

Plenty of backyard importers bringing in cars purely for the sake of making a few thousand dollars. How do they do this?

Well, they buy the cheapest car they can in Japan. They get the cheapest compliance they possibly can and they take every short cut they can to keep costs down. They probably don't even polish the car or clean the inside and they gloss over a lot of little problems. They then chuck on $4k to what it's cost them and push it out the door.

Import dealers are largely the same animal I've found. Though they WILL get the car detailed to have it looking like a new car. They then chuck on $10k to what it cost them. Or even better, they buy a damaged car in Japan, fix it and get it complied. The paint looks great, cos it's new - then they make a fortune on it.

So - $20k car at a dealer, $16k car privately and you can import it for $11-$12k if you go through a broker and import yourself.

Each method has it's pros and cons. Importing through broker has it's own pitfalls - the main one being how long it takes. Also the lack of readily available finance for importing.

If you are buying a car in Japan at auction, irrespective of who you are using, I urge you to spend a bit more money on it at auction. Honestly, 400000yen compared to 600000yen sounds like a huge difference and in % terms, it is - but that is not even $2000 at todays rates. Add import duty and gst and this car will cost you $2420 more BUT, you are getting a far better quality of car.

I've seen this, where I'm searching for a car for a customer and they start getting pissy over 100k yen, or even 50k - when they're buying a $20k car - that extra can cost them dearly in the long run.

Just some food for thought Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: