Info on Rims

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Info on Rims Reply with quote

hi browsing the net found these rims just woundering if they are a good fit for the aristo as im not good with the offset and stuff, confusis me thanks. Set of 4 brand new 18 x 8 inch PRG rims in their individual boxes
PCD: 114.3 x 5
Offset: +38
Greeny
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd fit......... prolly look meh though.
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so u rekon no go ay
Greeny
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say give em a miss.
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so i have a good idea whats a good offset and stuff for the aristo
xscape
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old aristo is now wearing the same size and offset wheels (18x8+38 ). They're not TOO bad, but yeah, you want something wider or with a more agressive offset. If you end up with the wheels it would need a 20mm spacer or more to look any good.
FIRSTROUND
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed

but legaly, they are very close to the standard fitment as far as trak width is concerned.

(big thumbs down for handling)

plus they will look ... well... not awsome to say the least
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offset is personal opinion.

18x8 +38 is super weak though. you want at least 9", and probably more like 30-35 offset. and thats still reasonably weak.

also its good to get something quality if you can, or at least with some sort of reputation or warranty cause some rims are real cheap and nasty Razz
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks for all your help guys im looking for some rims that fill the wheel arch up but dont scrape on anything, oh and legal
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok been looking at some more rims does anyone know at what point offset do the rims start sticking out the gaurds as ive found some 17' but the offset is +5 also looking at the rims for sale on here the 18' front and the 19' back
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far they 'stick out' depends on how much camber you're running/ride height and, then how much they fill the guards also depends on tyre size/width.

+5 will be wayyy too far out the guards.

those ones for sale on here look good, nice rims. Bit suspect how they leak but it will likely be an issue with a valve stem or the like, not anything too serious i wouldnt imagine. And for that price you cant realy go wrong.

but legally they are illegal since theyre different diameters front and rear, and theyre probably too wide as well. you;d also need to check the load ratings on the tyres.

legal rims = shit rims pretty much. so its a compromise!
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant, I don't mean to argue your knowledge of rims Razz

But, oday's looking at 17's with +5.. it really depends how wide the rim is too.. +5 is a long way out of the guard, but if they're 17x6's then probably not gonna stick out much at all compared to 17x10

Also, I didn't believe different size F/R was a problem, as long as theyre the same size on each axle, and the rolling diameters are close to stock.
oday
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks guys
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty, no problems man, half the time i reply to rim threads at work and i do it between flicking windows from the bosses haha

when i typed that i did register that to me 17s with +5 makes no sense. its an odd offset and he gave no width, it wouldnt be 5" wide, and there is no way a 17" rim with a +5 offset would be any less than 8" wide in my mind...maybe some may be a bit narrower but surely that size and offset would be pretty wide, if it isnt a typo or something. So i just skimmed the asking of details and made an assumption anything +5 is out of the question if he doesnt wana go to nuts on offsets!

i did have a look at the rules for wheels recently, and i agree on overall rolling diameter being within a certain percentage of stock, but theres also rules on width of the rims and diameter of the rims (17s at aruond 8" wide should be fine though) but then there is also increasing of track which cant be more than 25mm i think it was so that limits your widths and offsets too as both increase track.

and i think i remember it saying something about different size rims front to rear, i though it was illegal cause i remember thinking how a lot of s13 guys are going 17/18 combos these days (or were a year or so ago when i had mine).. im just cutting to the chase, if a cop pulls you over and is looking closely and carefully enough front and rear at your rims and tyres, i reckon its safe to assume he may have an issue with different sizes. The thing is, if you do get the same rolling diameter i reckon it would be pretty obvious, cause you'd pretty much have a whole 5mm more sidewall up the front, so it would look chunkier.

so yeah my answer from work was overly brief! but my point was this - rims are a very easy peice of equipment to change, its like a 10min job. So at the end of the day, if you do get in trouble for them, which is most unlikely if you have a big car like this and are looking at something like 18s (which these days arent that large anyway relatively) so they wont look huge on it, even if you manage to you can just take them off in a jiffy and get the defect off.
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed

True that, at the very worst, you'll get yellowed.. you'll switch em over in 10minutes with some stockies, go over the pits, get cleared, then put them back on. So worrying about what is or isn't legal is not much point. The rules are ridiculously strict.. Saying you can't increase track width is a little silly, when it's just going to make the car more stable.
But then if you're going to drop it a bit and increase ur camber anyway, the cops are gonna ping you for that rather than the 17/18 on front/rear or the 1cm of extra track width from having an extra 5 on your offsets.
ant_jzs160
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen

/end thread

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: