stripping weight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
180boi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess id jsut try fit some of those pioneer subs that are slimline, they look resonably light and they seem to put out a good bass note aswell and being that there not to high powered the factory setup would probably run them fine.
Hegemony
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

From experience one dosen't feel much seat of the pants difference until you got up around 8-10% weight loss, which in an aristo is up around 150kg mark....unless you are pretty serious then this is going to be hard to acheive.....

If however you are serious then away goes ....

bonnet for fibreglass
sub
purifier
stereo
speakers in all the doors
all the climate control stuff
replace the front seats with fibreglass jobs
keep the stock wheels and tyres as aftermarket wheels and larger tyres are often heavier than the factory package...

Are they 4 wheel steer? not too sure...but if they are then all that can go and be replaced....

I will be leaving almost everything in as I love the luxury, tend to agree if you want a light car try a R32 GTST or 180SX as they are pretty light.

Cheers,
Russ
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and aristoman. i think i have your heart already.

1. Air pur
2. Spare Wheel
3. Everything in the boot.
4. Sub.
5. remove alot of the dedaing behind the rear seat.

There the first things id do. Then when you hit the drags take the back seat out.

If you so mmmmm Razz

Exactly what i'll be doing for the drags as not hard to put it ll back in once its done minus air puri ofcourse Wink

Regards to subs there's no other way to go as you could go 8'-10' subs but you'll be still left with a gaping big hole where the OEM used to reside, i just went and bought a VENOM 12' and they do the job no worries as this thread should answer some q's in regards.

http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364

Quote:
The factory sub is about as lightweight as you'll get, stamped basket, paper pulp cone and weeny little magnets!

Yep the standard in its day might of been all the shizz but not now as its 'bass' bashing days are over Crazy Eyes

180boi
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if people are interested in shaving their drag strip time small things like these do help. maybe not on the road but u shouldnt be racing on the road anyway.
Dan
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazwaaah wrote:
lol i find it funny people trying to loose weight from heavy cars... i can understand how they are thinking...

if you want to go fast, put a big hp engine in a small car... end of story... aristo is the perfect balance IMO

wouldnt want to change it...
last thing i would want is a noisey aristo cabin because ive saved 5kgs from the sound deadening...

Exactly!

An Aristo is a luxury 4 door sedan. I dont know why people would buy one if they wanted to go fast. Sure its got bang for buck and is pretty quick in stock form, for what it is.

But like others have said, if you want to go fast, buy a sports car...

Im not sure about other people, but I got mine to just drive around and enjoy the comfort. Why the hell you would take things like sound deadening, etc. out of an Aristo has got me.... :S

ps.
I agree on the fact that you'd have to take quite a bit out to make any difference. Its a decent sized engine, so your going to have to take out a decent amount of weight to notice anything.
Sure if its a KE70 with a 4ag pushing it along, then things such as tyres, sound deadening, and aircon WILL make a difference as a small engine needs all the weight saved as it can.
Benny
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Dazwaaah wrote:
lol i find it funny people trying to loose weight from heavy cars... i can understand how they are thinking...

if you want to go fast, put a big hp engine in a small car... end of story... aristo is the perfect balance IMO

wouldnt want to change it...
last thing i would want is a noisey aristo cabin because ive saved 5kgs from the sound deadening...

Exactly!

An Aristo is a luxury 4 door sedan. I dont know why people would buy one if they wanted to go fast. Sure its got bang for buck and is pretty quick in stock form, for what it is.

But like others have said, if you want to go fast, buy a sports car...

Im not sure about other people, but I got mine to just drive around and enjoy the comfort. Why the hell you would take things like sound deadening, etc. out of an Aristo has got me.... :S

ps.
I agree on the fact that you'd have to take quite a bit out to make any difference. Its a decent sized engine, so your going to have to take out a decent amount of weight to notice anything.
Sure if its a KE70 with a 4ag pushing it along, then things such as tyres, sound deadening, and aircon WILL make a difference as a small engine needs all the weight saved as it can.

What if you're making it a drift car? Smile I want it loud, rough and as light/stiff as possible, this will require all luxuries out. Nothing will be left. I'm a murderer Smile
manual
'6spd Wannabe'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why are you buying an aristo then??
keiser soze
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the engine.. gotta be a fair bit of weight there
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny wrote:
What if you're making it a drift car? Smile I want it loud, rough and as light/stiff as possible, this will require all luxuries out. Nothing will be left. I'm a murderer Smile

Fair bit of weight in all the sound deadening they put in these cars, you'll find most of the floor & firewall layered in this thick matting - give that the chop Smile
Benny
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
Benny wrote:

Fair bit of weight in all the sound deadening they put in these cars, you'll find most of the floor & firewall layered in this thick matting - give that the chop Smile

I see. Definately the way to go. Have you heard it without all the deadening? I'd be interested to know how loud it is..

Manual - Show me an Aristo, looking schmick, ripping it up in Melbourne? Let alone Australia? The answer is nooooooo.
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define ripping it up? I'm in Melbourne, I reckon my ride is sweet, and I'm not afraid of the loud pedal Smile
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest there's next to sweet FA sound deadening as have seen a few written off Aristos and one stripped to pieces as the most weight i could see was the wiring looms along with all the ridiculous amount of control boxes for sunroof / cruise control etc,etc. The looms to the rear in particular looked like it went for about 5kms and weighed 50kgs easy.

Drift car eeewww such a waste as you'll be bashing balljoints in no time Shocked

Backseats piss easy to remove 30kgs there.
Air puri and all associated crap about 10kgs max.
Rear boot spare wheel / all boot carpet lining and amp / stacker (if you've got it) another 30kgs.

Hate to say she'll be a heavy drift car regardless on no matter what you take out.

As id be look to other alternatives then stripping the car down as id be looking for more grunt Very Happy
Benny
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
Define ripping it up? I'm in Melbourne, I reckon my ride is sweet, and I'm not afraid of the loud pedal Smile

Oh really? I'll need a drive man! Ripping it up sideways, i'm only interested in Drift man..
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, can't say I drive around corners a whole lot, to do it on the street I'd want to have had a lot more practice.

Plus to drive you need something capable of keeping 2nd & 3rd spinning, and with my current power level & 265 sticky rubber, it doesn't happen Sad

However car will be off the road soon and when it comes back it would be more drift worthy Smile
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jamie hey...
All in all, even when you strip the luxury stuffs out.. the chassis has an ass load of stiffening. LOTS of metal. Behind the dash is like a 50kg steel bar running the width of the car. Behind the rear seats and on top of the rear struts is more seriously large amounts of metal.
Unless you want to strip it out and start oxy cutting into all the metal supports that stiffen the car, it's going to be heavy to move around regardless of how much seat/carpet you pull out.
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ and believe you me you'll require all that stiffening !

As testamnet to the build quality of these cars as a few have been written and pranged recently & thankfully no-one has been killed or seriously injured thus far in regards to all the metal bracing dotted around the chassis.

Im one for reducing weight in cars like getting rid of unnecessary objects ie: 'air puri' and thats about it Razz

Seriously dont doubt these can be drifted but such a waste of a effort IMO unless your Japanese as they're the KINGS of quirkiness Very Happy
thommo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just make sure u flick it hard into those corners.

or get back braking coilovers like mine
Benny
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristoman - I see, I figured there'd be a heap considering it is a luxury car and all.. There'd certainly be a way to shorten that loom.. No idea how it'd be done though LOL. It's gotta be a drift car man.. Only reason I'm buying that. That and it's gotta tow a hachi. Already had the idea of removing all of what you said. Just confirmed weights for me, thanks mate! I know it's going to be heavy, but anything I can do to make it lighter I will. fiberglass/carbon whereever it'll go basically. Not gonna leave me with money to live! Love it!

Aristo - Shit I really need real names for you guys lol... I do a bit of street stuff in the 180, but I wouldn't do anything in the risto, too big and dangerous.. How much power have you got? Chuck some 25's on there!!! lol. Whats the plan for mods? Drift worthy sounds like a good coilover setup + diff? Maybe a little more power etc.?

Rusty - Stiffening works for me! Less roll when i'm attempting to enter a corner at 150 sideways lol..

haha thommo, going for hardest possible coils I can get! I care not about any of that smooth ride rubbish. The 180 is already heaps stiff and I love it!
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny - I'm Daniel Smile

Haven't dyno'd the car as yet, will do it once I finish the performance mods.

Mods to the car are currently:
Boost
coilovers
rims
exhaust

Mods to be installed soon:
FMIC
AFC, more boost, tune
5 speed

My g/f has a S13 it likes to spit the ass sideways
manual
'6spd Wannabe'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey benny - you have considered the fact it has a pedal handbrake?? so no reefing on the hand brake to assist angles ...

i am not saying it can't be a drift car - i have seen vids of them drifting ... but there are much better platforms, and cars that are still unique to choose from ...

in saying that - you can move the hand brake and the like - but yeah ... maybe something you wanna do, but not something i wanna do ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: