A bit of a let down...for the purists.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Jornot2J
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: A bit of a let down...for the purists. Reply with quote

Being a memeber who is still patiently waiting for things to transpire until Aristo ownership eventuates, i have been spending my time waiting and doing alot of research. Being a GTR owner also i was quite disturbed when i came across some data on the wikipedia site. my understanding was the 2JZGTE being what could be considered a jewel in the crown of all mighty toyota appears not to be the case...not toyota that is. it appears the engines birth and origin is not from japan but germany!!! my quest to find out why this motor is so reverred and highly sought after kind of ended in sheer dissappointment...sort of. i still want an aristo and i still want the 2jz. not saying that the japanese are not at all capable of building a fearsome engine, the example in my driveway is proof, but i honestly thought the 2JZ was purely a toyota concept, not an outsourced piece of kit supplied by its own competitors. although it is reassuring that coming from either camps you really cant lose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine can someone concur if wiki got it wrong?
Esteban
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, who cares? 2JZ's are great motors?
Jezza
'Mr. No Aristo'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, 2JZ-GE, send it off to a firm to do a sweet turbo setup, and then mass produce the design...i aint fussed, cos it's a fkn sweet motor Very Happy

seriously thats how they all dance... walk for a bit.. then viking that shit... walk... VIKING... WAAAAALK... VVVVIIIIKKKKIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the Rotary created by Mr Wankel and mass produced by the Japs.

Not bothered at all as being a Kraut boy myself Very Happy
Jezza
'Mr. No Aristo'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

least they aint claiming to be all jap, when infact they're from another country

...like holden says it's all aussie, but it's just a rebadged yanktank

seriously thats how they all dance... walk for a bit.. then viking that shit... walk... VIKING... WAAAAALK... VVVVIIIIKKKKIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!
thommo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH holden rb30det !!
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ain't too many engines or cars in the world that are completely designed and manufactured in one country. In fact, I don't think there are any?

Want me to rub salt into the wound?

The JZS147 Aristo's concept was designed in Italy!!! BIG DEAL!

http://www.italdesign.com/dinamic/gallery/gallery_scheda.php?id=50&num_rows=1&family=a&data_a_key=production&data_a_brand=Toyota

Chris
2Jornot2J
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was aware the original design of the aristo was from italy hence the name of the car. it was just surprising that toyota needed to actually do that. i guess it could have been worse and gone to the US!!! the japanese have alot of pride in there own work but these days it is sometimes hard to tell what is really what as alot of the technology is "borrowed". this just caught me by surprise and i really never would have guessed it.
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of WIKI stuff has to be taken lightly.

They said it wasn't released till 1992, but we know it was available in 1991.

Interesting if it is true, as the Germans have never been keen on turbos till recently really.

Designed by an Italian, bottom end by the Germans and Head by Yamaha, nice combo Very Happy
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guy I used to work with said that Nissan sent their engineers over to Germany to learn from engine design. The RB series of engines were based on the inline 6 engines that BMW used.
2Jornot2J
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say basing an engine on another design as opposed to a complete ground up build are 2 different animals. that said i guess many bullet proof bottom ends came from an initial design then adopted by other manufacturers accordingly. it wouldnt be hard for any manufacturer to rip open a competitors motor and say a-ha! nissan recently bought a few porsches and did the same thing. i am not dissing a car i will be woning very shortly, some may have taken it out of context. i am merely stating a very credible fact. no bashing here at all. as a point of fact i really cant stand the sight of my GTR anymore in the carport.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed

Don't forget the 1JZ. You would probably find that the German company improved the desdign on the 2JZ rather than from the ground up anyway based on the 1JZ. I wouldn't trust the Wikipedia either. It may have been the case that Toyota Japan designed and built the engine and it was simply worked on in Germany for racing.

As stated earlier; I would rely on the Germans and the Japanese as far as engineering goes nowdays every time. Look where the Toyota F1 team is based. (Don't focus on their results so far please. Very Happy )
(And just don't mention the War.) Eeek Dance

Chris
94 Turbo Aristo
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, enough yank bashing already. I love the 2JZ, as well as all cars. Hands down the 2J is one helluva engine. I could careless who did the R&D on it because it came out great. What do you blokes think about the LS series engines from General Motors? I think these engines are awesome, too. 30 mpg and over 300hp from the factory from a pushrod V-8. Really what I'm saying is give credit where credit is due.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

94 Turbo Aristo wrote:
Ok, enough yank bashing already. I love the 2JZ, as well as all cars. Hands down the 2J is one helluva engine. I could careless who did the R&D on it because it came out great. What do you blokes think about the LS series engines from General Motors? I think these engines are awesome, too. 30 mpg and over 300hp from the factory from a pushrod V-8. Really what I'm saying is give credit where credit is due.

Hehehe!
You gotta understand that in Australia the 2 'big cars' are the Holden Commadore and the Ford Falcon. Both 5.0 Litre US V8's versions are raced in the V8 Supercar series.
Us Aussies have been used to these engines 'since Adam was a boy'.
Don't be offended. You'd be surprised then that traditionally our domestic built cars have had a huge influence from the US and until recently, much more that from the Japanese or the Europeans.

A bit of a laugh cos we sell this to the US as well!
(Jeremy is such a funny bugger.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPNQFFsKVsE

Chris
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

94 Turbo Aristo wrote:
What do you blokes think about the LS series engines from General Motors? I think these engines are awesome, too. 30 mpg and over 300hp from the factory from a pushrod V-8. Really what I'm saying is give credit where credit is due.

Yeah I owned a LS1, it was interesting because when Holden first got it, they did everything possible to limit the power it made. They needed the engine to span around 8 years worth of cars, and for it to make more power in each car. So most of them running around are no where near their potential.

So squash this pipe, reduce diameter of this, retard timing here, insert stupid diff ratio there, etc. My VXII SS was dyno'd (stock) with 165kW @ rears. The guy who bought it had another program 'flashed' into the ECU (no custom tuning, no other mods, took 30 seconds to do) then it ripped out 220kw @ wheels. The LS1 is easily capable of 250kW @ wheels with a proper exhaust & tune.
aristo_tt
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thommo wrote:
OH holden rb30det !!

its actually a RB30ET Razz

as there single cam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thommo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh thats very tru, should been the way i stated heeh
Uzz31
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
The 2JZ-GTE was outsourced to German firm Johann A. Krause Maschinenfabrik GmbH to refine and make suitable for use in the Japanese Grand Touring Car Championship "JGTC"

The engine was not designed or made in Germany at all Confused
aristodan2jz
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was just the body that was designed in an Italian studio, never heard of the engine coming from there?
2Jornot2J
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by stating that it was not designed or made in Germany...what are the facts on that? why would a indiscrminate name be used if it were not credible. wiki would cop it if the facts werent borderline true. to outsource is to find a supply of a part or commodity not supplied in house. please explain. would be more happier if wiki did screw up and it is a true toyota engine. as i dig deeper on borrowed technology i also discovered that the nissan fj20t engine was an abandoned mercedes benz designed engine back in the days of very early F1. strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: