Import Car paint condition

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackheart
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Import Car paint condition Reply with quote

What is the general paint condition of cars you have imported....ie is the paint good for its age and does it buff up nicely if professionally attended to.

Interested in Blacks / Greens / Pearls and Greys. Haven't decided on colour yet.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Toyotas from a Toyota factory in Japan. Very Happy

But seriously....They are Toyotas from a Toyota Factory in Japan.

Chris
Blackheart
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ? ...... I had a Toyota Chaser generally the paint work buffed up nicely under the attention of a pro detailer ...except for the bonnet which seemed to have 'orange peel".

Are the pearls as good as they look ? Sounds like a silly question but its hard to see any Aristos here in the bush. Had a blue one here but it looked pretty underwhelming paint wise.
Warfare
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aristo is the standard Series 2 Silver, not sure of the code.

In terms of paint condition from ownership, mine was extremely good. A few small chips (mm size) and small scratches for an Auction Grade 4.5. The boot lid is also fairly badly swirled, but nothing a buffer won't fix. It's definitely copped more stone chips and scratches in the short time I've owned it (about 9 months) than it had from its 11 odd years in Japan, and I've been extremely careful with it.

As for the quality of the finish, overall it is very good. It does have noticable orange peel on the rear passenger side pillar, but you have to be standing next to the car, and be looking for it to see it. For a silver car, it has good depth of clear when it's sparkling clean and also has a nice metallic through it.
Davidian
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had filmbuilds around 120-130microns which is bang on and towards the top of OEM spec. This was before i resprayed it so i would assume that the owners of my car didnt have it painted since it was bought and didnt cut it.

The paint work itself was a bit dull and faded, especially the bottom tone. Looks a lot better now. There were numerous scratches on the front and rear bumpers but i assume they are from the way they park over there.
Richy
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidian wrote:
Mine had filmbuilds around 120-130microns which is bang on and towards the top of OEM spec. This was before i resprayed it so i would assume that the owners of my car didnt have it painted since it was bought and didnt cut it.

The paint work itself was a bit dull and faded, especially the bottom tone. Looks a lot better now. There were numerous scratches on the front and rear bumpers but i assume they are from the way they park over there.

My car also had ALOT of scuffs and scrapes on the bumpers. Looking at having painted on friday.

However genearlly, Japan doesn't get much sun. Granted most have 12+ years of swirl marks. In most cases the paint of japaneses cars is dull due to the polutants in the air which will come out with a good clay -> Polish -> wax.

I got around to claying my car over the weekend and, oh boy, did it come up like new when i techwaxed it.
lama_trd
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paint is usualy good till the aussie sun get to it and bubbles up the clearcoat. dam the uv to hell!!!! *sobs*
LewyTheFly
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its gonna depend on how the previous owner(s) have treated the car and where they left it parked and to a certain extent what part of japland they lived, etc
I mean if the previous owner kept it garaged and washed it every week it will be in good condition
If they left it parked on the street and rarely washed it and left it to the elements then it will be bad
Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: