Import or Local

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZS147 Diehard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Import or Local Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Just after some opinions on what you's think is the best option? Do i buy an aristo locally or try and get one imported and complied? Waiting is not too much of an issue. Mainly the comparison wanted is in terms of price. Also does anyone know of any reputable import places in QLD?

Cheers for any insight
FIRSTROUND
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the cars you will find on this forum have had the usual defects and issues delt with, they have been serviced well and again i do say most - but MOST are in pretty decent condition from what ive seen.

imports you may pick a winner, but even then if your Brake booster goes / you have fucked turbo's / they pull off all the goods to comply and the shop "forgets to give you them back"
storm1N
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends alot on your situation, but If you get one from a member on here they should be pretty well taken care of. The only issue with importing is you don't get to test drive and see what you are paying for. The local aristo prices are also pretty fkn low right now so you might be able to find a bargain.
skeez
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you import..
go a 4BB and have some knowledgable aristo people on the ground in Japan.
They can check most things just by starting it .
manko
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend Simon from TH Auto Japan as a reliable exporter.He is working in Osaka but is from the Gold Coast . Website: thautojapan.com
Black_JZS
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going through the importation process with my aristo (which went well), i would just source one locally. There are quite a few around, and i dare say you could pick one up for the same price, if not cheaper than importing.
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or support the site sponsor www.importmonster.com.au

We give you access to all the cars that are going up for auction via our browsable system so you can see yourself what is around, and of course have guys on the ground in Japan as well Smile
Bengy
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can buy one from a forum regular or know the history of the car, you might be better off importing if you want a low km, good condition car that hasnt been molested by someone over here. A reputable company will have good people in Japan who will suss the car out properly.

Local cars are going pretty cheap at the moment though so even if there is something wrong with a car by the time you get it fixed you would still be getting plenty for your money.
Miggy
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it from here! There are heaps in Australia now and they are cheap. You also get to see what you are buying so there are no hidden problems and no bullshit that comes with importing one.
Ant
'Grumpy Old C***'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My position on this is exactly 180 degrees on what it was 2yrs ago.

Importing is a crapshoot unless you have a very good importer and even then the compliance shop is often the problem. You won't land and comply a good one for less than 13k if you are a retail customer and have little to no control over the process. You could wait 6mths or more to drive it.

Buy a local car - you get all the wait and BS out of the way, you can drive it and have it checked by your mechanic if the seller is bona fide. You'll get a decent local car for around the same money depending on money spent by the seller.
Warfare
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with Ant, unless you really trust your importer. Like, trust them with your $13k, as that is what you will spend to get a 4B or a 4.5B with less than 70k on the clock... then you have to ask, are the km's genuine given the condition of the car? Get books if possible, and again, you have to trust your importer, and therefore his agents in Japland. Then again, if you're very very patient, you may get a car that has the exact specs you want - might be harder to find that black, leather, sunroof, S2, LSD one locally.

Having said that, my experience with importing was fantastic especially for a first time, and my car has been impeccably behaved so far (touch wood Razz). Waiting for 3+ months after you've dropped $5-10k+ is lame though. My car has copped way more damage from it's year in Australia than it did in it's whole life in Japan and I've been pretty damn careful with it! It comes down to luck as I've heard plenty of import horror stories. With regards to compliance shops... they 'forgot' to put my HID kit in the boot when they removed it. I won't say any more about that one...

I have heard things that make it sound like really nice and genuine low km's JZS147's are actually getting a litte harder to find in Japan, I think Australia, NZ and Canada are buying them all! Razz I'm sure there are still thousands of them over there though.
Chickita
'Miss VIP'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the prices the way they are on some Aristio's already in Aus Sad I would probably look locally first and see what is about.. You can no doubt snap up a decent one already here for around the same price as it is to import one.
At least then you don't have to worry about getting it over there, what damage it might get, waiting for it (even though you said its no problem waiting, it still SUCKS), hoping it passes compliance etc.. It's already here and you've just got to buy and change rego Smile

Check out the for sale section and carsales for some Aristo's, you never know your luck..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: