Quirky Aristo Features - Please Explain?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Quirky Aristo Features - Please Explain? Reply with quote

Just thought I would see if those of you who are more knowledgeable/experienced in all things aristo could school me on some of the quirky features on the aristo that I have noticed as a new owner:

1. Auto Headlight Setting: Is there a light sensor that turns the lights on automatically when it is dark (and off when it is light) when the headlights are switched to this setting?

2.The switch closest to the steering column on the wiper stalk: The picture sort of looks like it will intermittently spray water on the windscreen whilst the wiper is going?

3. The Key Hole near the fuel/boot release: What exactly does this lock/unlock (I'm not game to try it until I know what it does)?

4. Reverse Sensor: I have the factory fitted 6 stacker/GPS/TV system (lucked out on the sub/amp unfortunately) and it also has a "sensor" light with a small joystick below it. Is there a rear fitted camera or something? What do I do to use it?

5. How exactly does the cruise control work: Please don't laugh, I have not owned a car with cc before. I can see that you push the button on the end of the stalk in to turn it on but then how do you adjust the speed (flick it up to go faster, down to go slower)?

Ive got the original factory manual, but obviously it is in japanese, so it's not much help to me Razz

Any info on the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last freaked with by Mattis on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 pm; freaked 2 times in total
thommo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Auto Headlight Setting: Is there a light sensor that turns the lights on automatically when it is dark (and off when it is light) when the headlights are switched to this setting?
Yer there are sensors on the dash which detect light, once its dark they're on!

3. The Key Hole near the fuel/boot release: What exactly does this lock/unlock (I'm not game to try it until I know what it does)?

The key hole near the boot locked the fuel lid and the boot, so pullin at the leavers does nothing.

5. How exactly does the cruise control work: Please don't laugh, I have not owned a car with cc before. I can see that you push the button on the end of the stalk in to turn it on but then how do you adjust the speed (flick it up to go faster, down to go slower)?

push button on the end turns the cruise function on.

you then get to the speed you want to cruise at and push down ( as if you are indicating to the right )

you can then hold it down to increase speed or push up to coast ( which means disengage )
Ding
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok on mine the small ring close to the column on the wiper stalk side tucks the wipers down toward the bonnet my guess is wind resistance. cruise control works by first pushing in little button on the end of stalk then to set it gently push it down to speed up you can gently push the stalk up or simply accelerate and then set the cruise by pushing down to cancel the cruise either pull the stalk in or tap brakes. hope this answers and helps you
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thommo wrote:

Yer there are sensors on the dash which detect light, once its dark they're on!

Sweet, figured that is what the little clear window was on the dash on the drivers side, is the little black plastic one on the passengers side the aerial?

thommo wrote:

The key hole near the boot locked the fuel lid and the boot, so pullin at the leavers does nothing.

I figured that was the case, but I can't see a point to locking them?

thommo wrote:

push button on the end turns the cruise function on.

you then get to the speed you want to cruise at and push down ( as if you are indicating to the right )

you can then hold it down to increase speed or push up to coast ( which means disengage )

Cheers, will give it a go next time Im on the freeway. Does it disengage automatically when you step on the brake as well?
Ding
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cruise control does disengage automatically when you step on brake
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Quirky Aristo Features - Please Explain? Reply with quote

Mattis wrote:

Yes, the sensor is on the dashboard, on the passenger side, near where you rego sticker goes. Its the black one.

Mattis wrote:
2.The switch closest to the steering column on the wiper stalk: The picture sort of looks like it will intermittently spray water on the windscreen whilst the wiper is going?

OK, this is the 2 bottle mystery! Under your bonnet there are actually 2 wiper bottles. pull the stem towards you and it takes the water from the bottle at the front of the engine bay. Push the stem and it takes water from the other bottle. The reason for this is to have a normal detergent mixture in one and a oil/grease mixture in the other. (I think I have that the right way around? I will have to check next time I look at my handbook.)
The ring drops the wipers down to hide them. It seems very quirky to me. I couldn't get my Japanese friend to explain this one. I'll just have to wait a week or so for the next exchange student to arrive.

Mattis wrote:

It locks the boot and petrol cap so that if someone gets into your car they can't access via these switches. You need the key. The key will lock and unlock it. Go ahead and try it!

Mattis wrote:
4. Reverse Sensor: I have the factory fitted 6 stacker/GPS/TV system (lucked out on the sub/amp unfortunately) and it also has a "sensor" light with a small joystick below it. Is there a rear fitted camera or something? What do I do to use it?

You lost me here as I don't have this unit in my car.

Mattis wrote:

Same as any other cruise control. Hit the cruise button to activate, get to the desired cruising speed, and flick the stem down. do dis-engage, press the cruise button again or apply the brake. Make sure to test on an open road the first time you give this a go.

Chris
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in relation to the locking of the boot, quite often you were given a 3rd key, a valet key, which did doors and ignition only. This way the valet can't get into your boot or glovebox.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
Also in relation to the locking of the boot, quite often you were given a 3rd key, a valet key, which did doors and ignition only. This way the valet can't get into your boot or glovebox.

True, But I only got 1 key??!?! Bawling
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Sad
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the case with all of us Smile My system came with a remote starter and no remote for it.
Chappo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once cruise is engaged, you can press the stalk down to decrease speed and pushing the stalk up will increase speed.
Dazwaaah
'Mr. 60mm'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got 3 keys lol....

it was like finding a key in every compartment LOL

Flutter Crew '08
Patch Crew '09
Contiki Crew '10
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christodav wrote:

Yes, the sensor is on the dashboard, on the passenger side, near where you rego sticker goes. Its the black one.

Gotcha, cheers for that info. Any ideas what the other sensor is (well I think it is a sensor) in the same position on the drivers side dash (it's like a little clear window)?

christodav wrote:
The ring drops the wipers down to hide them. It seems very quirky to me. I couldn't get my Japanese friend to explain this one. I'll just have to wait a week or so for the next exchange student to arrive.

The only benefit of that that I can think of would be to reduce wind resistance across the windscreen, maybe it helps push more air over the windscreen for when there is light rain (i.e. clears it off better than having to use the wipers)?

Mattis wrote:

christodav wrote:
It locks the boot and petrol cap so that if someone gets into your car they can't access via these switches. You need the key. The key will lock and unlock it. Go ahead and try it!

Chris

Aristo wrote:

Ah I see, that makes sense (as does it being a good security measure if the car was ever stolen, that is they wouldn't be able to drive it after it ran out of fuel, unless they knew where the fuel tank is on the aristo and then they would probably take the back seat out to get to the tank, unlikely though).

I do have two keys for my car, but the other is just a normal spare as far as I can tell (i.e. not a valet) as it opens the boot (I wouldn't expect that a valet key would open the boot).
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember the fuel cap / boot are electronically operated so if you've a flat battery nothing will open when you press these buttons i can assure you Sad
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattis wrote:
christodav wrote:

Gotcha, cheers for that info. Any ideas what the other sensor is (well I think it is a sensor) in the same position on the drivers side dash (it's like a little clear window)?

One is a 'solar sensor' for the climate control. It measures the amount of sun coming in via the windscreen so it knows to pump up or down the aircon.
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
One is a 'solar sensor' for the climate control. It measures the amount of sun coming in via the windscreen so it knows to pump up or down the aircon.

That makes sense, nifty feature that, cheers for the info.
Dan
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is obviously your first import? Razz

Thats half the fun about importing new imports... Pressing buttons and seeing what does what. There is ALWAYS at least ONE button in every type of import thats in japanese, their the most fun trying to work out Razz
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
This is obviously your first import? Razz

Thats half the fun about importing new imports... Pressing buttons and seeing what does what. There is ALWAYS at least ONE button in every type of import thats in japanese, their the most fun trying to work out Razz

Nope, it's my third actually.

I have had a jap spec Nissan Silvia S12 with FJ20ET and I currently have a Nissan 200zr (selling it soon though), neither of them had any of the features mentioned in this thread though (both are mid 80s cars though).
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are Nissans - that should explain the lack of features Smile
Dan
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
Both are Nissans - that should explain the lack of features Smile

Haha.. Touche'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: