Legal towing capacity of a turbo aristo?

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aristodan2jz
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Legal towing capacity of a turbo aristo? Reply with quote

I'm trying to work out what the legal towing capacity is on my aristo as we have just purchased a 25f boat that ways 1600kg including trailer, trailer of course has brakes. There is discrepancy stating 1200kg with brakes & 2000kg with brakes from the information I found. If anyone has gone down this route & can tell me the facts it would be greatly appreciated.
2JZR31
JZS147 Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen one with a towbar?

Contact me for $75 FCD's shipped in Australia (will post internationally at extra cost)
Bengy
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you can get them made up without too much hassle. I'm about to try and get this done myself so if anyone out there in forum world has done this let us know how and the costs involved. Cheers!
JDM
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had one fitted by southern exhaust and brakes $380 specified needs to look clean.

Did not mention heavy duty towing so rated to 80kg ball weight 1200kg towing with brakes. Would not be much more expensive to go heavy duty.

Just extending anchor point past spare wheel recess posed issues.
vanquish
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine quoted for a HD tow bar @ $800 at Southern Towbars, they had my car up on the hoist and had a good look to see what was involved.

From memory the guy said he would need to weld in a brace in front(closest to the diff) side of the spare wheel well for the tow bar to pick up from.
vanquish
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Legal towing capacity of a turbo aristo? Reply with quote

aristodan2jz wrote:
I'm trying to work out what the legal towing capacity is on my aristo as we have just purchased a 25f boat that ways 1600kg including trailer, trailer of course has brakes. There is discrepancy stating 1200kg with brakes & 2000kg with brakes from the information I found. If anyone has gone down this route & can tell me the facts it would be greatly appreciated.

I couldnt find any info myself, id like to know as well as i plan to tow another vehicle plus trailer (2000kg+)

My missus VZ commodore has a HD towbar and is rated to tow 2100kg, so as the Aristo is bigger and heavier it should be rated to pull the same i would think?
Chappo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Legal towing capacity of a turbo aristo? Reply with quote

vanquish wrote:

My missus VZ commodore has a HD towbar and is rated to tow 2100kg, so as the Aristo is bigger and heavier it should be rated to pull the same i would think?

The engine will have no problems towing it. The problem will be due to the way that the towbar is attached to the car frame. This will determine how much it can tow. You will need to speak to the people that will be fitting the towbar for you.
jzs31man
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all i have a towbar on my aristo that i custom made out of a i think 2003 mitsubishi magna i got it from the wreckers used the tow mounts on the car to mount it too and towed my skyline from coffs harbour to brisbane then too willow bank race way in ipswich then back to coffs again est kms 1400 and car and trailer weighed aprox 2100kgs no probs till blew first turbo pulling up a range but drove it n/a for approx 1100kms so in that respect it drove really well but do recomend getting heavy duty rear springs and shocks as standard ones couldnt cope and saged a long way down
radu
'El Traficante'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one as well , but i took it off , no need for it . Already got a towing car. If the need be i can take some pics
The Godfather
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!!

Anyone else towing with their aristo? Was thinking got selling to get a tow capable car but seems the old
Girl can tow?
TurboMoehican

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus is they are okay for small box trailers and light loads but nothing big it screws the chassis pretty quickly.
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they're not built for it, and don't have the required support in the chassis for them from factory, hence no factory towbar.
You could probably weld enough metal in it to give it the strength to tow as much as you like though... just would depend on your requirements as to how much effort you would need to put into it to handle it.
The engine should be no problems, up to around 2t i'd say.. then you might start running into torque issues.
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys for real ? There's dudes overeast & locally towing race cars and big arse trailer loads all the time with no issues.

JustinGT8 tows his race car and there's another dude (Graham) who tows he's boat in Perth.

Like anything you tow drive it like you stole at shit will go awry.
Chappo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be asking what the tow ball rating that you are supplied is. It will be different between suppliers - I'd also be checking with insurance and seeing what they say.
sleeperJZS147
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be custom made, same as above brace put on the other side of the wheel well and also braced up through the wheel well.
Even after all that the towbar manufacturer still said 80kg - 100kg ball weight limit. My trailer comes in under that when fully loaded
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread showing customized setup to tow cars / pretty much anything that conforms to weight limitations.

Doubters out there ssssshhhhh hush now Very Happy Smile Eeek Dance

http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12592
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: