Has my timing belt been changed - Anyone translate japanese?

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Has my timing belt been changed - Anyone translate japanese? Reply with quote

My car has 120k km on it and when I purchased it the previous owner was unsure of whether or not the timing belt in it had been changed. He mentioned that it was probably done as part of the compliancing but I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the compliancing paperwork and there isn't a silver sticker on the cambelt cover to indicate when it was done. There is a castrol sticker on the windscreen to indicate that it requires a service in another couple of thousand kms though (I assume it was serviced when it was complianced) but from what I am aware a timing belt change isnt something that is necessarily done as part of the compliancing procedure.

The seller took this into account (as well as a couple of other things) when we negotiated the price so I am not concerned if I need to change it.

However the other day I noticed that there is a little silver sticker on the inside of my drivers door, just under the factory tyre placard sticker:

It has a km reading on it and I can see a check box which is labelled ATF (but isnt ticked) which I assume means an auto tranny service, but mine has the far left option ticked, which is labelled in japanese so I have no idea what it means.

Any ideas if this means that the timing belt was changed at 116441km or if it is just a sticker that indicates when it was last serviced (i.e. oil change etc)?

Any ideas what the 18 17 and 18 numbers refer to (or maybe they are /8, /7 and /Cool?

Last freaked with by Mattis on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:38 pm; freaked 1 time in total
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car had those too I assume they are service stickers, becuase you'll notice some lasy bugger has placed the latest one on top of another one. You want to look for a sticker on the timing belt cover.

On a spare engine I have, it is on top, here is a pic from a distance so you can see, and a close up.

Last freaked with by Aristo on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:03 pm; freaked 1 time in total
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get it translated for you this week. My in-laws have an exchange student there at the moment.

Chris
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the assistance guys,

I didn't think it had been changed due to the lack of the silver sticker on the cambelt cover (when I did the one in my 200zr it came with a sticker that you filled out the kms on the odo when the belt was swapped, as Aristo posted). However I thought maybe there was a glimmer of hope that the place that did the service had used the service sticker to confirm it had been changed instead of the normal sticker on the cambelt cover.

Should I just go for a genuine Toyota belt here or are aftermarket options a better idea?

Anyone got the part number for the serpentine belt as well (may as well change this at the same time)?

Any other bits and pieces I should change at the same time (I don't want to do the water pump just yet, as the switch to the supra type arrangement looks a bit complicated)?
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a range of things you should do for the 100,000kms service.

Have a look at sbyder's post here --> http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9866#9866

If your car has recently been through compliance you might choose to leave out the fuel & air filter. Also you don't need to swap to a Supra water pump & fan setup. I believe people in the early days suggested you might go this route because if the hydraulic pump / fan on the Aristo brakes they were a b1atch to get another one, plenty of us around have spare bits so you can keep the Aristo setup if you want.
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the parts i got and eterntiy ago when i did the overhaul on mine as probally didnt need to change the belt on mine as had no distinct markings or records but belt that was in near new condition but i wasnt going to take a risk not knowing the cars history. I used a Greddy belt as apparantley its stronger but more wank factor IMO Razz BTW you can have my old timing belt as almost like new as i'll never use it again.

13568-49036 Timing Belt
90916-02310 Serpentine Belt
16100-49846 Waterpump
90916-03093 Thermostat
96761-24023 O-RING (for water bypass you require 2)
16325-62010 Thermostat Seal
13540-46030 Tensioner Assy
13505-46041 Idler Sub Assy

I went thru Penrith Toyota and always asked for Matt: 02 47362722
Tell him you're a Soarer member and you'll get a decent discount Wink

Also with the Serpentine Belt dont be to suprised if it has this marking on it: 90916A2007 as they're apparantely interchangeable with the Toyota Prius and fit perfect so dont get alarmed !

Just swapped my Supra pump / Thermostat / Gaskets for some parts last week.
As was going to get rid of the Aristo setup as at the time didnt bother as wasnt leaking but apparantely you require a underdrive pulley off the Supra along with the thermo fan upgrade.

Sbyders done this on his aristo as he'd be best to tell you how its done Very Happy
Roadside Tech
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a part number list for using the Supra waterpump isn't Jamie??? as the serpentine belt number is wrong if not.

Just double checking incase the guy orders the wrong belt.

Always best to change a timing belt when buying a second hand car, unless it has really good evidence of it being changed.

But don't worry too much with the Aristo as it has a non-interference engine, just inconvenient when it leaves you stranded Very Happy
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats correct Nick as was going to get rid of the hydraulic setup but in the end CBF Smile

The Serpentine Belt no: 90916-02310 is correct as when i recieved the invoice for the parts.....part no: 90916A2007 came up of which i promptly queried but nothing to worry about as fits like a glove Very Happy

That was my thinking to with the timing belt as definetly didnt know the history and there was no definitive markings.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Has my timing belt been changed - Anyone translate japan Reply with quote

Mattis wrote:
My car has 120k km on it and when I purchased it the previous owner was unsure of whether or not the timing belt in it had been changed. He mentioned that it was probably done as part of the compliancing but I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the compliancing paperwork and there isn't a silver sticker on the cambelt cover to indicate when it was done. There is a castrol sticker on the windscreen to indicate that it requires a service in another couple of thousand kms though (I assume it was serviced when it was complianced) but from what I am aware a timing belt change isnt something that is necessarily done as part of the compliancing procedure.

The seller took this into account (as well as a couple of other things) when we negotiated the price so I am not concerned if I need to change it.

However the other day I noticed that there is a little silver sticker on the inside of my drivers door, just under the factory tyre placard sticker:

It has a km reading on it and I can see a check box which is labelled ATF (but isnt ticked) which I assume means an auto tranny service, but mine has the far left option ticked, which is labelled in japanese so I have no idea what it means.

Any ideas if this means that the timing belt was changed at 116441km or if it is just a sticker that indicates when it was last serviced (i.e. oil change etc)?

Any ideas what the 18 17 and 18 numbers refer to (or maybe they are /8, /7 and /Cool?

The box ticked is really simple!

The engine oil has been changed!!!!!

The middle one is 'element' I am presuming it is the air filter and of course the last one is tranny fluid.

(Don't you love having Japanese exchange students come visit!)
Smile Smile Smile

Chris
Mattis
JZS147 Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for that info, much appreciated!

Guess I need to do the timing belt.
SS DIS
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they dont do the timeing belt at complaince unless you pay them extra to do it.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, his english isn't that great and 'element' is what came up on his electronic translator. And the writing underneath is the name of the workshop.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: