jzs161 Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIPgs300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, i have a jzs160 daily driver and just got rid of my 147 and a mark ii so im turboless and missing them. having always wanted a jzs161 im thinking about a conversion. but i want it to be manual. so i just want some advice. im looking to buy a nicely tuned halfcut or complete car and cut it up and ship it over. but to get the most value for money i dunno whether to buy a whole 161 and import it and transplant everything then manual it, get a 147 half cut and manual it (cheaper option but im not getting any usable body or spare parts for my car) or get a manual supra halfcut and have the drivetrain i want but have fitting issues and cost more. please im or email me. looking for someone to give me a bit of guidance. dont have a huge budget but also looking to buy parts etc. so if your a gun fabricator or has a mate who can import stuff give me a yell and id be happy to use your services.
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First up, don't even think about trying to put a 147 halfcut into your 160 - too difficult. Of course can be done, but just far too difficult.

Manual thing ok, but then things get tricky of course - all the same kinda issues the guys here encounter.

161 half cut is apparently one of the easiest swaps you can do. I believe only a few wires to change/add. Plenty of people have done this.

It is also may be possible to find a car in Japan that has already had the manual conversion, buy it, chop it in half and bring it over.

Too many things to stuff around with in a Supra half cut swap from what I have read, but again it's possible.

My own opinion is that by the time you dick around with a manual conversion, you might as well have bought a manual Chaser - JZX100 or even a JZX110. But that's my opinion. You'll spend lots of time and effort doing a manual conversion not to mention $$$$$$

(BTW, I am not sure if I read it wrong, but you won't get a complete 161 imported. Private import only.)

Chris
VIPgs300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christodav wrote:
First up, don't even think about trying to put a 147 halfcut into your 160 - too difficult. Of course can be done, but just far too difficult.

Manual thing ok, but then things get tricky of course - all the same kinda issues the guys here encounter.

161 half cut is apparently one of the easiest swaps you can do. I believe only a few wires to change/add. Plenty of people have done this.

It is also may be possible to find a car in Japan that has already had the manual conversion, buy it, chop it in half and bring it over.

Too many things to stuff around with in a Supra half cut swap from what I have read, but again it's possible.

My own opinion is that by the time you dick around with a manual conversion, you might as well have bought a manual Chaser - JZX100 or even a JZX110. But that's my opinion. You'll spend lots of time and effort doing a manual conversion not to mention $$$$$$

(BTW, I am not sure if I read it wrong, but you won't get a complete 161 imported. Private import only.)

Chris

thanks mate, if i imported a 161 it would only be to wreck it for parts so i could bring ot over. thanks for the advice on the 147 halfcut. it would seem the obvious choice money wise but ill take your word for it that it will be difficult. there are alot of supra halfcuts getting around and if it not too difficult. might be the way to go

I want to do my gs300 conversion for uniqueness and the love of that car. like i said in my last post i just sold my mark ii and it was a jzx110 manual. missing it alot and hoping to get back on the road with a turbo car soon
dimo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, why is the JZ161 not allowed under RAWS. Is it because no one has tested emissions on it or is there another reason? Or is it simply because the Lexus NA version was Oz delivered?
Chappo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimo wrote:
Or is it simply because the Lexus NA version was Oz delivered?

This.
dimo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all the 147 shaped Lexus GS300 that I've seen are not Oz delivered? I thought they were? Confused

Sigh, was just browsing auctions and stumbled upon this <3

V.I.P. Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimo wrote:
So all the 147 shaped Lexus GS300 that I've seen are not Oz delivered? I thought they were? Confused

I think you may have seen a genuine JZS147 Toyota Aristo, badged as a Lexus. I dont think there would be many (if any) Lexus GS300 in the 147 shape here.
Chappo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexus GS300 = Local delivered (Non-Turbo only). US delivered - Turbo/Non Turbo.

Toyota Aristo = Japanese Market (There is no brand Lexus in Japan).
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually there is Lexus in Japan now, but only since 2005.

Ok, you can't import a whole JZS161 and wreck it in Australia. It must be chopped in half in Japan first.
ie: Half-cut

Dimo, I am surprised you forgot all this?!?!?!

The 147 shape was never Australian delivered. This is why it is eligable under SEVS.
The LEXUS GS300 was first Australian delivered from the JZS160 onwards.
As said before, if you see a JZS147 with a GS300 badge it is simply a badge someone has fitted, particularly if it is a Japanese delivered car as it was a Toyota branded car only in Japan.
The US only ever got non-turbo models - otherwise it's a swap.
Under current laws, the only way you can have a turbo JZS16# is an engine swap or private import.

I hope that makes it clear as mud for you now.

Chris
PMP300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick phone Pics new boostcontroller and Paddle shift install

Vinyl wraped roof

and my new pipes

PMP300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how my Goodness arrived

[/img]
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im liking the pipes and the potential conversion Very Happy

Whats the going rate for VVti cuts these days ?
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big paddle shift thing confuses me somewhat, please explain??

Chris
PMP300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversion is done I have had it in since Christmas but the twins are giving me so much troubles that I'm hating the car till its sorted
christodav
JZS147 Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I am guessing that you didn't use an Aristo steering wheel and fitted those paddles instead?

What's wrong with the turbos? A Problem with fitting the boost controller? Blown turbo?

Chris
PMP300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristoman wrote:
Im liking the pipes and the potential conversion Very Happy

Whats the going rate for VVti cuts these days ?

Hey mate i paid $4500 shipped from japan with everything tail shaft, diff,bonnet,lights,ect

CHRIS: my car is a 99 so it didnt have e-shift and i wanted it but the tan steering wheels with eshift are like $600 so i got IS250 paddles from ebay for about $80 and wired them directly to the ecu

The turbo problem i have had since i put the engine in before i got the boost controller in Short>
if i go half throttle till i see 10 psi then floor it it will hold boost and go up to 15psi.
if i just floor it it will spike to 7 psi then drop to 5 psi and stay there for the whole rev range

Its so Depressing Sad
510ONE
JZS147 Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMP300 - hey dude are you mates with the twins aaron and jarrod?? if so i may have met you at harrys i think...

the paddle shift is fairly neat.

also if you haven't already seen but we are trying to organise a regular meet with more info on this link >> http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10765
simpo
"Toymotorspurt"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more i look at them the more i want a 161 Sad will finish my car then look at maby transplanting my running gear into a 161 and selling my cart off stock lol
PMP300
JZS147 Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

510ONE wrote:
PMP300 - hey dude are you mates with the twins aaron and jarrod?? if so i may have met you at harrys i think...

the paddle shift is fairly neat.

also if you haven't already seen but we are trying to organise a regular meet with more info on this link >> http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10765

Yeah mate im friends with them
Aristoman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame bout the turbo / boost issue Sad That's a decent price for everything inclusive, i take you installed yourself & onsold some of the remaining parts to offset conversion costs ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristochat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: