Headlights and HIDs and stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Headlights and HIDs and stuff Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I was umming and aahing about what to do headlight wise for quite a while - I had my heart set on the WIN conversion as per link below, but I worry that it could look a little ricey.

http://www.jin.ne.jp/win/14aristo-main2.htm

My mind was made up when I came across these. They're simply stock headlights that have been reconditioned and a little customised. It's a very simple change, but when I fit HID's, I reckon they'll look fantastic against the silver paintwork Smile

http://www.rampant.net.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=384&osCsid=e60c8084317a8d3649b9b97efc9f18fb

It's really hard to capture the effect, but basically the chrome insides have been "purpled".

Which brings me to my next point - I don't know a huge amount about HIDs. I'd like that mild purple colour, rather than the "oh fuck my retinas are burning" white Smile

What kits are good, which ones are suited to the Aristo? This isn't an area I've really explored before!

Cheers

Aaron Cool
thommo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pair you hav on your site are like the japo projector headlights. i had htem on my r31 skyline. they're goood but i reckon the standard style lights worked better lol.

a HID kit for these carrs would be good to find i pretty sure i seen some on american ebay but under gs300, unsure if they'd be 100% the same for aristo
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thommo wrote:
that pair you hav on your site are like the japo projector headlights. i had htem on my r31 skyline. they're goood but i reckon the standard style lights worked better lol.

a HID kit for these carrs would be good to find i pretty sure i seen some on american ebay but under gs300, unsure if they'd be 100% the same for aristo

the ones I linked to are standard aristo headlights, just slightly customised Smile

got link for the hids?
xscape
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i purchased a HID conversion kit from ebay

stupidly, i got the wrong size. well, it was the right size, but my headlights were changed during compliance to accept H3 bulbs instead of H4.

so yeah if anybody is interested in a HID conversion kit ( ballasts and bulbs) 9006 they are for sale.
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xscape wrote:
i purchased a HID conversion kit from ebay

stupidly, i got the wrong size. well, it was the right size, but my headlights were changed during compliance to accept H3 bulbs instead of H4.

so yeah if anybody is interested in a HID conversion kit ( ballasts and bulbs) 9006 they are for sale.

how much mate? As I'll be ripping my compliance lights out and putting the purpley ones in Smile
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it do both high and low beam?
xscape
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakedterror wrote:
does it do both high and low beam?

oh its just a cheap kit. low beam only.

its size 9006 (h4?) and the temperature is 10,000k.

same as this kit

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9006-HB4-9005_W0QQitemZ190106757431QQihZ009QQcategoryZ102560QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i paid $160, so will accept an offer if you're still interested. hasn't been used but i did wire up one of them see what it would look like - its a blueish colour.
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, can you get high beam ones too?

I'm v interested, pm me what you'll take for it Smile
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron,

The pics you had on your site look like somebody sprayed a purple mostly transparent paint onto the standard reflectors. This will make no change to headlight performance, however they have the purple tinge when the lights are off & on.

Regardless, HID is just a globe, so can be fitted to the stock housings, or modified ones, whatever suits Smile

As for the color temperature:

3,000K - yellowish light. Best suited for rain / snow applications as white light reflects off rain & snow
4,300K - the best performing temperature. Highest output, lights are fairly white
6,000K - slightly blueish tinge to light, performance not as good as 4300K
8,000K - deep blue
10,000K - purple
12,000K - deep purple.

So if 4,300K gives the most output, why would you go for anything with a higher temperature range? Because HID lights produce more light than halogen, you'll still be putting out more light. 4300K produces 3 times more light than halogen. 12,000K produces 2 times more, so you can be super rice special but still be producing twice the light of your OEM lights.
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info Smile

and yeah - I realise the reflectors aren't going to change the headlight performance, but they look good. And that's what matters Very Happy

Aristo wrote:
Aaron,

The pics you had on your site look like somebody sprayed a purple mostly transparent paint onto the standard reflectors. This will make no change to headlight performance, however they have the purple tinge when the lights are off & on.

Regardless, HID is just a globe, so can be fitted to the stock housings, or modified ones, whatever suits Smile

As for the color temperature:

3,000K - yellowish light. Best suited for rain / snow applications as white light reflects off rain & snow
4,300K - the best performing temperature. Highest output, lights are fairly white
6,000K - slightly blueish tinge to light, performance not as good as 4300K
8,000K - deep blue
10,000K - purple
12,000K - deep purple.

So if 4,300K gives the most output, why would you go for anything with a higher temperature range? Because HID lights produce more light than halogen, you'll still be putting out more light. 4300K produces 3 times more light than halogen. 12,000K produces 2 times more, so you can be super rice special but still be producing twice the light of your OEM lights.
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakedterror wrote:
and yeah - I realise the reflectors aren't going to change the headlight performance, but they look good. And that's what matters Very Happy

Sorry mate more of a generalised statement - not meant specifically for the Rampant the parts master Smile Very Happy
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
nakedterror wrote:

Sorry mate more of a generalised statement - not meant specifically for the Rampant the parts master Smile Very Happy

I should hope not Razz

That'd be like me lecturing you on php or some other snazzy acronym
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bothered to re-read my post it did sound directed at you - FOR SHAME Confused

On a side note I wonder what K rating my car has - functional or rice-a-roni?
Import Monster
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristo wrote:
Just bothered to re-read my post it did sound directed at you - FOR SHAME Confused

On a side note I wonder what K rating my car has - functional or rice-a-roni?

it's JDM yo - therefore, it's bippo Very Happy
Dazwaaah
'Mr. 60mm'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i want is to remove the fkn orange in the light cluster... PISSES ME OFF!!!

hahah

Flutter Crew '08
Patch Crew '09
Contiki Crew '10
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the top...

I still want HIDs some time, the problem I'm having is I hear a lot of talk about the real HIDs (merc, etc) having 'projector' lenses for them to stop the light going fkn everywhere. Heard people say how HIDs fitted into non-HID lenses is technically illegal cos they don't project properly; instead they spray the light everywhere and piss off other drivers.

Does anyone know more about this particular topic? Is there a way to get proper projector lenses fitted? What about that thing they call "auto-levelling"?

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows more about this...
-Rusty
Aristo
'Ex Aristo Owner'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty. True to a point. Cars with headlight assemblies that are designed for HID's have the upper limit of the beam of light (the bit that goes out the farthest / highest) refracted to the point, so that the beam is blue beyond that point.

The idea is that the beam of light can be brighter, go further, but when it hits people in the eyes above that limit it appears blue, and doesn't blind you.

I have HID low beams in my car, and although the entire beam looks blueish upon start-up, it eventually goes a brilliant white, from all angles, it doesn't turn blue from certain angles.

As for sending the light all over the place, not true, at least in the case of our cars. My headlights are perfectly aimed, and I haven't had anybody flash their lights to remind me I have my hi-beams on.

So are they legal? I dunno - I've done a bit of a search and it would seem that if you get the bulbs that emit white light, there should be no issue. Get the ones that put out straight blue, and your asking for trouble. Your changing your bulbs to something that throws out 3 times more light, that should be a good thing Smile
stevee
JZS147 Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have HID in high and low. No problems at all with low beam being a projector.

High beam does spread a lot, and is very bright - exactly like I want it to be !

Only problem is that with so much glass in the projector setup they look more yellowish than the high beam. Perhaps you could go for 6000k in low beam. I have 4300k in both. Or maybe the low beam ones are not as good as the high beams. All eBay specials Very Happy

http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5936&highlight=#5936

Edit - now I've got sidetracked and taken photos

Easy to see how much more light come from high beam.
manual
'6spd Wannabe'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Headlights and HIDs and stuff Reply with quote

nakedterror wrote:
I had my heart set on the WIN conversion as per link below, but I worry that it could look a little ricey.

First time I have seen this thread, and the first thing I thought when i saw those WIN lights was "XR Falcon ..."
Rusty P
'Mr. Dicktation'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlights and HIDs and stuff Reply with quote

manual wrote:
nakedterror wrote:
I had my heart set on the WIN conversion as per link below, but I worry that it could look a little ricey.

First time I have seen this thread, and the first thing I thought when i saw those WIN lights was "XR Falcon ..."

Hahaha Indeed. They are poo!
WIN lights are definately not win at all...
Yuck

I might go some 6000K low beams then...
The stock Aristo lights are a kind of projector beam are they not? So they should be OK with HID's?
I think what people complain about is when others put HIDs in stock civics etc which are merely the reflector lens at the back and that's it... so it sprays everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JZS147 Australia Forum Index -> Aristo Aesthetics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: